Why is transactions amount wrong?

WhiteDW
WhiteDW Member ✭✭
My Discover Card account shows an incorrect "transactions" amount. I'm talking about the amounts at the bottom of the register.

The online balance, credit remaining, and ending balance are all correct. I have balanced to my latest statement. Transactions should be zero, but it shows a positive $643.15. And my ending balance is zero. The balance column in my register also reads positive $643.15, and it should be zero.

Thanks for any help!!
Tagged:

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @WhiteDW,

Are you a Quicken Mac user?  If so, you've posted in a Windows thread. 

If not, can you please explain what you are seeing that is a "transactions" amount "at the bottom of the register"??

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    There was an error rendering this rich post.
  • WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I deleted, will repost
  • WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I deleted, will repost.
  • WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    I'm using Windows 10, Quicken R45.13 Build 27.1.45.13

I've seen others talk about the amounts at the bottom of the register in discussions. They are between the Downloaded Transactions and the last entry on the register in a credit account.

Transactions: xxxx Online Balance:xxxx Credit Remaining:XXXX Ending Balance:xxxx

I am posting a screen shot in my next post, not sure that it will upload.

Thanks!
  • WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    Screenshot attached:
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @WhiteDW

Thanks for the screen shot.  I don't know why that data is not rendering correctly for you.  The "Transactions" field shows the total number of transactions in the register, and the number comes before the word Transactions. There should not be a number after Transactions.

For some unknown reason the amount of the register's "Ending balance" is displaying after "Transactions", and zero is being shown as the register's "Ending balance" which is incorrect (it should be $643.15).

Is this happening in any other account registers?  I suggest that you contact Quicken Support for some direct assistance - here's a LINK.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    Thanks for taking a look at this! I’ll talk with support and try to post an update.
  • WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    @Frankx
    I spent a lot of time talking with tech support and we can not come up with a solution. Actually the only thing wrong is that the ending balance displayed below the register should be the same amount as displayed in the balance column at the end (ending balance). But as you can see in my screenshot the amount at the bottom of my balance column is $643.15, but should be zero.

A simple "balance adjustment entry" only changes the column balance to zero, but then the ending balance displayed below the register changes to -$643.15 as if I owe that much. And also displays in my calendar as owing $643.15 when using "current credit card balance" as the amount due.

This is my only account in Quicken that has the problem.

We can not pinpoint yet when the change happened. I'm going back and reviewing old backups to see if I can find one that is displaying correctly. Will update IF we ever solve this.

Thanks!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @WhiteDW

On that "current balance problem" - you may want to take a look at the first entry in that account's register.  It is very possible that the first entry is wrong and Quicken has ben known to change that entry from time to time.  You may have seen other posts about that "bug".  If it is wrong, you should correct that opening entry. That should correct your balance problem.

Frankx

• WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    @Frankx I tried changing my opening balance. But again that only corrects the Balance column ending, then the Ending Balance below the register is wrong. And that wrong figure is used on my calendar as the amount due!

Thanks for the thought!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it have to do with the last transaction being future dated 12/19/22?  And have you entered that transaction?  Maybe you haven't hit Enter or Save yet on it?  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    No, even a future transition would be included in the end balance. And yes everything is entered/saved.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Hi again @WhiteDW,

I can only go by the limited data on your screenshot that was not redacted. 

Using that very limited data - here's the story that I get...
    1. After an "unknown" charge entry dated 11/23/22 - your register shows a "balance" of $249.72
    2. The next entry is dated 11/25/22 and it is a "payment" type entry in the amount of $8.94. And after this transaction, the balance column increases to $258.66  
    3. This means that the "account balance" being displayed in this register is NOT a balance due, but rather it reflects an overpayment situation (you have paid more than you should have, or you received credit for purchases that you returned to the vendor, or something similar).
    4. In the next entry (predated 12/19/22), you are apparently planning on making a payment to the credit card provider (from your checking account) in the amount of $384.49 - which will then increase the overpayment situation to $643.15 - Please note that, according to what I see in this register, your credit card is overpaid and, one would conclude, therefore to not make a payment.
    All that being said, I also want to point out that - the data appearing below the register is mixed-up as I tried to point out above -   Frankx said:
    For some unknown reason the amount of the register's "Ending balance" is displaying after "Transactions", and zero is being shown as the register's "Ending balance" which is incorrect (it should be $643.15).
    So I still believe that you are seeing either of these issues in this account register: a) an incorrect "Opening account balance", b) one or more errors or duplicated transactions in the register, or c) some type of data corruption. 

Hope this helps.

Frankx

• WhiteDW
    WhiteDW Member ✭✭
    @Frankx After reviewing transactions as far back as 1/2/2021 I see that my balance was off by $643.15 since before then. I've spent far too much time trying to fix this. So I have decided to archive my current Discover account and start a new one with a correct balance. I am assuming that there is some sort of data corruption that is not worth researching any longer.

Thanks for all of your help! And if support reads this, thanks for your help too.
This discussion has been closed.