What is going on with Income and Expense Reporting?

Options
wildrices
wildrices Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Reports (Windows)
The income/expense reports are catastrophically wrong. In the attached screenshot, Jan, Feb, Mar, and Jul income/expense are correct. For all the other months they are completely wrong. For the income, I can see my bi-weekly paychecks, but on the last day of the month there are other "salary" transactions that are not in my ledger. On the expense side, there is substantial "uncategorized" spend. When I review it, it shows up as my paycheck (I don't know why this is a debit). I have seen that since my May 27, 2022 paycheck, they all now show up as uncategorized, even though every transaction in the paycheck is categorized. It feels like Quicken is become less stable lately.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @wildrices

I know that you are probably trying to be helpful by attaching the "screenshot" but if you take a look at it - you'll see that it adds nothing to this discussion.

That being said, if - as you say - "since my May 27, 2022 paycheck, they all now show up as uncategorized, even though every transaction in the paycheck is categorized" - and assuming that these transactions have, in the past, been entered correctly - what is happening seems as though there may be problems with your datafile.  You should consider validating your Quicken datafile using this LINK

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• wildrices
    wildrices Member ✭✭
    Options
    The suggested fix to validate my file didn't work. Paychecks are still showing in in the reports as duplicate values even though there is only one transaction in the register.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you show us transaction detail on these paycheck transactions, please? Add to that the reports that you're looking at showing the problem.
    At first glance it looks to me as if your scheduled reminder paycheck transactions were recorded in the register. And then there was an uncategorized downloaded transaction which was added to the register instead of being matched, so now you have duplicates ...
  • wildrices
    wildrices Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello UKR. Thanks for following up. I checked my register and there is only one transaction entered. Attached is the example from May 27. I'm also showing the Register report where it shows multiple entries.
  • wildrices
    wildrices Member ✭✭
    Options
    This is the register report.
  • wildrices
    wildrices Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm also attaching the income/expense graph and I've circled all of the months where the duplicates occur (again, these are not duplicated in the actual register) and my spending report that shows 8 uncategorized transactions, all are paychecks. These correspond to the duplicates in the income/expense graph.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There has recently been a problem report about paychecks containing a $0.00 transfer to a 401k account causing problems. Does this apply to these transactions? (To verify, change a $0.00 to $0.01 and see what happens)
  • wildrices
    wildrices Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I saw that report and reviewed it. In my case, all of the transactions have values and they are all the same for every paycheck. So this doesn't look like it is part of my problem. However, I also reviewed my expenses, which are proportionally high (as you can see in the graph above) and noticed that I have a single large "uncategorized" line for each of the months where my income is high. Again, there is only one paycheck entry in the register and all items in the paycheck are categorized.

For the example in May, my gross salary shows up as income 5x. For the uncategorized expense, I cannot relate this value divided by 5 to any single item. When I drill down from the report into the uncategorized expense, it takes me back to my single paycheck register entry.
  • wildrices
    wildrices Member ✭✭
    Options
    UPDATE: I spend an hour on the phone with Quicken Technical Support. They were not able to find the problem. However, while I was on hold I did some more digging and found that the problem is associated with a deduction in the paycheck where I transfer the money to a different account (instead of just assigning it to a category). When I changed the transfer to a category on one paycheck, the duplication went away. I was able to edit the paycheck and change the deduction back to a transfer and the problem did not recur.

Unfortunately, when I tried this with another paycheck that was showing the duplicate errors, it completely messed things up (the register total didn't match the actual paycheck total. I had to eventually delete the paycheck and copy an earlier transaction. This kept the register clean.

Going forward, I'm going to exclude the transfer in the withdrawals and see if that prevents the problem from happening again.
  • bonald67
    bonald67 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am having this exact same problem in looking at an Itemized Categories report for last year. I don't see anything in my affected transactions that are transferred to a different account like what wildrices reported though. I've been discussing it with an agent in chat and will let you know if we are able to find a solution.
  • bonald67
    bonald67 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Okay, wait a minute, I might have figured something out. I've been looking at the category that is my husband's military retirement pay. There was a deposit from last June that was in there twice. In the split for that transaction, under Earnings there were 2 lines: one for Military Retirement for the gross amount and another for Salary that was $0. By deleting the Salary line, I was able to get rid of the duplicate. Now to see if this works in all the other places, because this seems to be a major problem.
This discussion has been closed.