Why are none of my Capital One accounts synching in Quicken?

My Capital One accounts have been unable to synch for a couple of weeks now. Why are they not working?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    My Capital One accounts have been unable to synch for a couple of weeks now. Why are they not working?
    Hello @Rob Jordan,

I am sorry to hear about these issues with online banking services. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, can you tell us more about what seems to happen when you try to link accounts or download transactions? Are you noticing any particular error messages, and if so, what kind? Also, what Connection Type are you making use of in order to connect your accounts to online banking services? You can check this by clicking one of the affected accounts in the Account List on the left-hand side of the Quicken panel and then navigating to the Settings menu denoted by the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. The Downloads tab in the window that appears should contain this information. 

I look forward to your answers, and I hope to provide further assistance going forward, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • The Connection Type is "Quicken Connect". When I try to log into the accounts through Quicken, the Server Communication Error (screenshot attached) is error code = BID17410
  • Quicken Jared
    The Connection Type is "Quicken Connect". When I try to log into the accounts through Quicken, the Server Communication Error (screenshot attached) is error code = BID17410
    Hello @Rob Jordan,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with the BID errors. Thank you for bringing us that helpful screenshot, and for answering my earlier questions. 

If you have the chance, it would help us to troubleshoot the situation if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch
    4. Click Next
    5. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location
    6. Click Next
    7. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web
    8. Click Next 

You may then add your Capital One affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by clicking on the Add Account button (denoted by the '+' symbol) choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file. 

Also, are you making use of any Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), antivirus software, new firewall settings, or pop-up blockers? If so, it may be necessary to temporarily remove these in order to troubleshoot this issue, as these can sometimes cause errors of the 'BID' variety.

I look forward to hearing about how this works for you.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • It allowed me to add the Capital One accounts as new accounts. Obviously, I don't want to do this because I have nearly a year's worth of categorizations that I don't want to re-do. Therefore, I restored the old accounts based on my backup file. I still cannot sink these accounts against Capital One. Please advise.
  • Quicken Jared
    It allowed me to add the Capital One accounts as new accounts. Obviously, I don't want to do this because I have nearly a year's worth of categorizations that I don't want to re-do. Therefore, I restored the old accounts based on my backup file. I still cannot sink these accounts against Capital One. Please advise.
    Hello @Rob Jordan,  

I am sorry about this issue with online banking services continuing, although the results of this test will help us isolate the problem. Thank you for getting back to me and letting me know what happened.

Where is your current active data file located? Make sure that your data file is located on your computer by navigating to File > Show "(Data File name will be displayed here)" in Finder... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Storing the data file on an external drive or cloud-based storage service can cause erratic behavior and even data damage.

Have you tried restoring from a recent backup? We recommend saving backups frequently by navigating to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done often, you should be able to restore from a backup that was saved just prior to when this issue emerged by navigating to File > Restore from backup... in the same menu. I am curious about whether or not this problem continues in the restored file.

Let us know more about this, if you can. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • I think the Restore from Backup fixed the problem. Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.