Can I get a tax invoice instead of a summary of subscription payment (in Canada)

davidlambert
davidlambert Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
When I log in to my account, I see only the total price of subscription renewal. As a business, I need to know what the product cost and associated taxes are, separately.

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Davidlambert - some states do not charge sales tax on software - how much were you charged? 
  • davidlambert
    I live in Canada (British Columbia) and sales taxes are charged on software here.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Hi @davidlambert,

You purchased a US product from a US company.  Quicken does not charge sales taxes to Canadian citizens, or to goods sold to Canadian companies, because it does not have nexus in Canada.  In addition, Quicken, is a California company, there are no state sales taxes on software sold in California.

So the answer is you paid no sales taxes on your Quicken software.

Frankx

(the above comments are the personal views of the poster and should not be interpreted as the provision of services nor rendering of tax advice. Readers should consult their own professionals regarding such matters.)

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• davidlambert
    Frankx, I have to disagree with you. I also subscribe to Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (San Jose, CA) and I do pay sales taxes (Harmonized sales tax, 13%) for that subscription monthly.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @davidlambert

You didn't ask about Adobe, you asked about Quicken. 

Adobe is a multinational company/enterprise with offices and operations in many countries.  They likely have nexus in Canada.  As I clearly explained above, my view, from all the data that I have, Quicken is a California company - not a multinational.

Maybe you should talk to your Canadian accountant. However, if you want to pay taxes - feel free to make that donation.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.