Corporate Spinoff

Rhodes
Rhodes Member
edited January 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I am trying to enter a corporate securities spinoff but Quicken has already downloaded a dividend transaction from the spinoff company so when I enter it's name as the New Company in corporate securities spinoff dialog I get a message saying the name is already being used, please enter a new name. What is the best way to work around this problem?

I have thought of adding shares of the new company without the spinoff transaction but then the cost basis is incorrect. I can calculate the cost basis and have read that Mac users do not have this securities spinoff feature so they enter in paired add/remove transactions on the date of the spinoff to get the cost basis correct for both parent and spinoff companies. Is that the best way to go about it?

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can spin-off a different company and the edit the name in the generated transaction. Or edit the name in one dividend transaction to match. Then delete the unused security and make sure the used one has the right ticker. 

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can spin-off a different company and the edit the name in the generated transaction. Or edit the name in one dividend transaction to match. Then delete the unused security and make sure the used one has the right ticker. 
  • Rhodes
    Rhodes Member
    Excellent! It worked perfectly. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.