Annuities

L. Shaddix
L. Shaddix Member ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Investing (Windows)
How do I get Quicken to update the Market Value of an annuity with multiple mutual funds?

Best Answer

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'd do it one of two ways

1) simply set up an 'other asset' and adjust the value every quarter from the statements received indicating the value of the annuity.  that is the simply way. 

2) the more complex way - and not sure why this level of detail would be necessary - set up an investment account called 'annuity' and track each mutual fund.  you could then add a "dummy" mututal fund to force any difference between the value of the mutual funds and the overall value of the annuity if there is a discount / premium between the two.

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'd do it one of two ways

1) simply set up an 'other asset' and adjust the value every quarter from the statements received indicating the value of the annuity.  that is the simply way. 

2) the more complex way - and not sure why this level of detail would be necessary - set up an investment account called 'annuity' and track each mutual fund.  you could then add a "dummy" mututal fund to force any difference between the value of the mutual funds and the overall value of the annuity if there is a discount / premium between the two.
  • L. Shaddix
    L. Shaddix Member ✭✭
    I am basically updating Quicken the way you recommend, but was hoping for an automatic way.
    Thank you very much.
  • Bak1946
    Bak1946 Member ✭✭
    What action code do you use to reduce annuity value? My annuity has lost a large amount this year and I want to adjust the value.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    not sure what you mean by an 'action code'.

one of two ways that I would do it is (since this is presumably an "other asset")

1) create a new category called 'change in annuity value' and make an entry using this category
    2) just use the account as the category - this will create a warning that you are using the same category as the asset, but it will get you the same result as #1
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or 3) What do you use when the annuity has increased in value?  I would put the adjustment to the same category.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.