File Archive - YE Backup

JAC2BE
JAC2BE Member ✭✭
I just did a file/archive/YE backup and my Quicken file became LARGER after. How can this be? I removed (archived) everything prior to 1/1/2015 and my file grew from 84Kkb to 105Kkb.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    JAC2BE said: I guess you're right, I just wanted to reduce load time.
    this comes up often - but - the Quicken QDF file size doesn't really effect the speed of Quicken... it's just SLOW -
    and the initial program load also has a handshake out to the Quicken servers prior to your Home screen appearing.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    why do you want to archive? what value does it bring? 

My file is 250mg and works just fine - it has 22 years of history in it.

I've used Q for 28 years and that archive function was very valuable in the 1990s when hard drives were quite small and RAM wasn't that big.  That problem kinda went away around 2000 as hard drive sizes and RAM increased. 

I just see no value in archiving 
  • JAC2BE
    JAC2BE Member ✭✭
    I guess you're right, I just wanted to reduce load time. I guess I'll just restore the file that I backed up before the archive. But I'm still curious as to why the file size would increase?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    JAC2BE said: I guess you're right, I just wanted to reduce load time.
    this comes up often - but - the Quicken QDF file size doesn't really effect the speed of Quicken... it's just SLOW -
    and the initial program load also has a handshake out to the Quicken servers prior to your Home screen appearing.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• AWinTx
    AWinTx Member ✭✭✭
    > @Mark1104 said:
    >
    > My file is 250mg and works just fine - it has 22 years of history in it.
    >
    > I've used Q for 28 years...
    > I just see no value in archiving 

I was just wondering - if you have a checking account with over 8000 transactions, for example, do you ever just create a new account to be used for the same purpose and close the old account out? TBH, I don't know what the data structure for Quicken's data is, so I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not. It seems like account access is faster after doing a validate/repair, so I'm not sure if there is any payback for creating a new account.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @AWinTx - my checking account goes back 22 years and has over 10,000 transactions in it....no issues.

• lyonswe
    lyonswe Member
    I have 63 KB of data. A Quicken representative informed me that I can no longer update my file because it is too big, The data file contains more than 20 years of transactions
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Quicken representative is wrong. How are you trying to update your file?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @lyonswe - my file is 22 years old, 250mg and have no problems updating it.

what are you trying to update? be specific on the bank / financial institution and confirm what version of WINDOWS are you on? WIn7, Win8, Win10 or Win11? 
This discussion has been closed.