Performance Stock Units (PSUs) in Quicken Deluxe

schraud2
schraud2 Member ✭✭
While I have been able to figure out how to enter RSUs in Quicken Deluxe, I have been unable to find information on entering PSUs. Any advice?

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, conceptually, PSUs are the same as RSUs, but the trigger for converting to shares usually isn't the passage of time, it depends on achieving some "performance" metric - achieving sales goals, per share earnings, return on capital, and so forth.  I don't think that Quicken really is set up for PSUs, but if I had some I might be tempted to use the "workaround" I used to mention for RSU's before Quicken supported them.
    Set them up as Non-qualified options, with an exercise price of $.000001.  You could have them vest almost immediately as vesting of non-qualified options only means you can exercise them; it doesn't actually give you shares.  Then, if an when the performance metric is met, you "exercise" the options, basically for no money due tot he small exercise price.  You'll end up with the correct number of shares, at the correct cost, and with the compensation created by the exercise properly reported.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, conceptually, PSUs are the same as RSUs, but the trigger for converting to shares usually isn't the passage of time, it depends on achieving some "performance" metric - achieving sales goals, per share earnings, return on capital, and so forth.  I don't think that Quicken really is set up for PSUs, but if I had some I might be tempted to use the "workaround" I used to mention for RSU's before Quicken supported them.
    Set them up as Non-qualified options, with an exercise price of $.000001.  You could have them vest almost immediately as vesting of non-qualified options only means you can exercise them; it doesn't actually give you shares.  Then, if an when the performance metric is met, you "exercise" the options, basically for no money due tot he small exercise price.  You'll end up with the correct number of shares, at the correct cost, and with the compensation created by the exercise properly reported.
This discussion has been closed.