How do I resolve unrealized gains on options that were traded years ago?

rwshone
rwshone Member ✭✭
Quicken is not recognizing that the option were closed years ago and is still carrying unrealized gains which is making the Net Worth report and the actual account balance for one of my investment accounts differ. I have read about how to enter the options, i.e. "short sale" followed by a "buy" for an expired option. Quicken is showing the shares as 0 but has an unrealized gain screwing up my net worth and account balances report. Help

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rwshone said:
     I have read about how to enter the options, i.e. "short sale" followed by a "buy" for an expired option.
    This is wrong. A position opened with a Short Sale must be closed with a Cover Short.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rwshone
    rwshone Member ✭✭
    I'll try that but I'm guessing it won't work.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    After you try it, please come back and let us know whether changing the Buy to a Cover Short fixed your issue.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rwshone
    rwshone Member ✭✭
    It is crazy. By changing the puts to "Short Sales" and Covers to "Cover Short Sales" the reports for Account Balances now shows the correct balance for that specific account. HOWEVER, the Net Worth Report is still adding in the options trading and giving a value that is TOO HIGH for the Account Balance.
This discussion has been closed.