Unable to create a Quicken Account

Syl20C
Syl20C Unconfirmed, Member
Hello There. Trying to buy Quicken new version (cause I am on a new computer) and I'm unable to create a Quicken account, nor to reach any Quicken help (chat or phone). Any idea what I can do ?

Also, is it possible to only "copy" the Quicken I have on my old laptop to my new one, without having to buy the new 2023 version? I'm ok with the 2016 version I have, and it's only for my fa,ily budget, so no need to upgrade.

Thanks

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to only "copy" the Quicken I have on my old laptop to my new one, without having to buy the new 2023 version?

Typically, the answer is no.

If a program requires a setup (in other words, if you had to install the program on the first machine), then copying the program file from that machine to another machine will typically not work.

Typically, it won’t work because the setup process didn’t happen. The setup process did things to the original machine that you wouldn’t be copying if you copied just the executable file.

The kinds of things that it might be doing are:

• Making changes to the registry 
    • Adding information to the registry
    • Setting up files and folders
    • All sorts of different things depending on the kind of program that you’re
      dealing with.
    In short, the answer is no, I do not recommend it but do recommend buying the new subscription version of Quicken and you will always have an updated version. Even if you had the old 2016 Quicken installation disk, depending on the age of your computer, the Quicken program may not be compatible with your new computer, or would not be compatible in the near future. 

Trying to buy Quicken new version (cause I am on a new computer) and I'm unable to create a Quicken account, nor to reach any Quicken help (chat or phone). Any idea what I can do?

To establish a Quicken Account, go to www.quicken.com - click on the "sign in" link - a "sign in" window will open - at the bottom of the page you will see a blue "create account" button - Click on the button and enter your information to create an account. After you have created an account, your next step is to purchase the version of Quicken you desire and install it on your new computer.

Back up your Quicken data file on your old computer and save it onto an external drive (such as a USB drive or something you can move to the new computer). After you have installed Quicken on your new computer, restore your data from your backup source to the new Quicken program using the "restore backup" button on the Quicken menu bar.

After your installation is complete and your date has been restored, you may find the register print is too small. Go to Edit > Preferences. Select Register from the list in the left panel. Click the Fonts button. In the Choose Register Font dialog, you can change to a different font and adjust the size.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    There are computer migration programs (e.g. PCMover) that will move an installed application from an old PC to a new PC, but they do not always work (and they especially do not work well if migrating to a newer version of Windows... tried that once and will never attempt that again) and they are actually a bit pricey. In my view, it is infeasible to work with a non-current version of Quicken, which has migrated to a subscription model.

I am fully aware that others see the matter differently, but my perspective is that if one makes good use of Quicken's features, the subscription price is entirely reasonable. If you don't need a program as feature rich as Quicken, you might look for other solutions - which won't be discussed on this forum as that is not permitted.
This discussion has been closed.