Quicken crashes when opening a specific account

Options
timarnold
timarnold Member ✭✭
I am currently using Quicken vR45.21 build 27.1.45.21. Since the current update has been loaded, I have been encountering 2 issues. If I select one specific account to view, Quicken locks up. If I select the Bills & Income tab it also locks up & I get an error message "Failed to create dump file - Error 183"

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    timarnold said:
    I am currently using Quicken vR45.21 build 27.1.45.21. Since the current update has been loaded, I have been encountering 2 issues. If I select one specific account to view, Quicken locks up. If I select the Bills & Income tab it also locks up & I get an error message "Failed to create dump file - Error 183"
    Hello @timarnold,     

I am sorry about these problems with freezing and strange error messages in the Bills & Income tab.  Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here

I look forward to hearing about how this works, if you have the opportunity to speak with us about this again, in more detail. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • timarnold
    timarnold Member ✭✭
    Options
    I tried restarting my computer and the problem still exists. I also reinstalled quicken per your instructions and that did not resolve the issue. I also performed a file validate and supervalidate with no effect. This all seemed to begin after installing the last quicken update.
  • drbfrog
    drbfrog Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have very similar issues. When I take specific actions at the transaction level, the program locks up and the only way to stop it is to force a close through task manager. Quicken - please confirm that you know this is an issue.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    timarnold said:
    I tried restarting my computer and the problem still exists. I also reinstalled quicken per your instructions and that did not resolve the issue. I also performed a file validate and supervalidate with no effect. This all seemed to begin after installing the last quicken update.
    Hello @timarnold,   

We are sorry to hear that these issues are continuing. Thank you for letting us know about the results of the previous troubleshooting steps. 

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email)
    Let us know how this works.

Hello @drbfrog,  

We apologize that you seem to be affected by these issues as well.

Are these crashes occurring when trying to edit the transactions associated with a particular account? Also, is this account being operated manually? Lastly, have you already proceeded through uninstalling and reinstalling the program, via the previously offered instructions? If so, try utilizing the steps recommended above, in this post. 

I look forward to your answers.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • timarnold
    timarnold Member ✭✭
    Options
    I tried signing out and signing back in. It did not make any difference. As I said originally, this issue only occurs with one of my accounts. The rest work fine. I also assume the problem with this account is the reason the Bills and Income account crashes.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    timarnold said:
    I tried signing out and signing back in. It did not make any difference. As I said originally, this issue only occurs with one of my accounts. The rest work fine. I also assume the problem with this account is the reason the Bills and Income account crashes.
    Hello @timarnold,  

Thank you for getting back to me about this. I do apologize that this problem remains ongoing.

First, what financial institution is associated with the account in question, and what Account Type is involved (Banking, Investment, etc)? Also, just so I am clear, is this happening as soon as you click on the Bills & Income tab, or are you able to - for example - partially set up a payment before this happens?

I look forward to your answers, and hope to keep working with you on this issue, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • timarnold
    timarnold Member ✭✭
    Options
    It is a Wells Fargo checking account. If I click on that particular account, Quicken immediately locks up. If I click on the Bills & Income tab, it will eventually time out and give me the "Failed to create dump file - Error 183" error message. Quicken then shuts down.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    timarnold said:
    It is a Wells Fargo checking account. If I click on that particular account, Quicken immediately locks up. If I click on the Bills & Income tab, it will eventually time out and give me the "Failed to create dump file - Error 183" error message. Quicken then shuts down.
    Hello @timarnold,   

Thank you for getting back to me with the answers to my earlier questions.

After further investigation, I have determined that this issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!

(CTP-5096)

-Quicken Jared 
  • timarnold
    timarnold Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. I look forward to the update.
  • drbfrog
    drbfrog Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @quicken_jared I tried the logout and log back in and same result - issue not resolved. I hope this is addressed quickly as it makes the program almost useless to keep all info updated which is a key function of Quicken. Thank you.
  • Andrey
    Andrey Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. Quicken hangs after I click on account with notification (You have NN scheduled bills or deposite due).
    Process Explorer shows that one thread is consuming CPU and loops in:
    QACCESS.dll!?GetSchedTxnStatus@SchedTransaction@@QAE?AW4SCHED_TXN_STATUS_ENUM@@TQDB_DATE_TYPE@@@Z+0x24
    qw.log shows this:
    DbC EnsureViolation 'pTxList->items != 0' in TL_FillSchedTxns (qatxapi.cpp @ line # 7009.)

When I click on "Bills & Income" tab - it shows an error "Failed to create dump file: '' (error 183)" and process dies.
    Please fix this ASAP.
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @quicken_jared, as of 02/01/2023, the latest Quicken for Windows still has the problem of "Failed to create dump file: " (error 183)" randomly-ish popping up just before Quicken crashes. Note preceding this crash, symptomatically the Quicken application appears to be struggling. Meaning clicking any account and the application window distorts and it clocks with a spinning blue circle. Click the popup "Okay" button the application window distorts again, some more spinning, and crash, it disappears. Where did Quicken go?!?

For me, this has been happening for a long time and usually precedes Quicken crashing, sometimes it just disappears, sometimes it is error 183, and sometimes there is a message about out of date range. Some days Quicken kind of works just fine. Yesterday it worked fine. Today is not one of those days.

It might be Long Covid, I don't know, hopefully, one day the developers will figure it out.
This discussion has been closed.