The resulting value is too big. Please enter it as more than one transaction.

Options
Private User
Private User Member ✭✭✭
I'm having an issue with investing in a mutual fund I haven't used in 7 years. I keep getting the message even when trying to enter a BUY transaction. I've gone back to 2013 and checked all the transactions and verified all lots and ensured that the last sell transaction (2016) was able to properly select proper lots. However, I came across this article (https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file?adlt=strict&toWww=1&redig=28D8C155052647FE84EC71E248D64D15) and the number 7 bullet and final note has me concerned.

If for a bogus reason you wind up with a transaction more than 99,999,999.99 does that mean your entire quicken file is hosed no matter what?
Quicken user since Sep 1990. With a lot of sadness, I switched to something else. Used quicken at least three times a week for 32 years; hard to let go. 35+ years in IT Infrastructure and IT Security. Current Job 31 yrs. Married 30yrs..

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @private user- no, my experinece is not that it is hosed.   I have looked for the bogus transaction and deleted it.  hasn't occurred in a number of years, but I am still using the same Q file. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree - the note at the end of that article does not apply to bullet point 7.  
    I keep getting the message even when trying to enter a BUY transaction.
    What transaction were you actually trying to enter?  I would have expected a BUY but your mention if that in your sentence left me wondering if I was missing something.
    Are you using multiple currencies in this file?  

Items I would check / try:
    • Price history of that security in Quicken - making sure there is nothing odd in that data.
    • Validate and Repair the file including the Rebuild lots option, but not the Price option (however that is worded).
    • Closing and restarting Quicken

• Private User
    Private User Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    The transaction I was trying to enter was a Buy, sorry for the confusion. In going back to try and find the broken transaction, I started getting that message on some of the sell transactions, and the lot window clearly showed a shortage, even though the share balance in the investment window at the date was correct. Validate/Repair did not help. I wound up going through every sell transaction and resetting the lots on all of them until I hit the one that was failing. Then I changed the date on the transaction to a day earlier, and magically it worked.

Then I did another validate/repair (w/rebuild lots) and that seems to have resolved the problem, but now I am seeing new issues with some orphaned transactions between my paycheck entry in my checking account and my 401k account (which was the account that had the transaction problem in the first place. Somehow in most recent two paychecks there was no transfer account set in the 401k deduction screen even though the company match amount was in the 401k register as being sourced from my checking account. Reselecting the account in the paycheck register resolved the problem but it is concerning that one side shows it got a dollar from the other side and the other side shows it spent a dollar but doesn't know where. More concerning that this was after a validate and repair
    Quicken user since Sep 1990. With a lot of sadness, I switched to something else. Used quicken at least three times a week for 32 years; hard to let go. 35+ years in IT Infrastructure and IT Security. Current Job 31 yrs. Married 30yrs..
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There seems to be recently a variety of issues with paychecks and 401ks at the end of the year.  Which release are you on?  You might try backing off to R44.28.  All the R45 release seem to have issues based on my reading on this site.  I can't say the 401k - paycheck issues are R45 related but I am suspicious. I have not followed those issues closely.  
  • Private User
    Private User Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm on 45.21. I wouldn't be surprised with this being an r45 issue (especially after last year's disaster with r38 not being able to add tax items to paychecks). I'm not quite ready to restore a two week old backup after all the accounting work I did last week. I'll just have to keep an eye on it, fingers and feet crossed, and do a prayer dance... :smiley:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm on 45.21. I wouldn't be surprised with this being an r45 issue (especially after last year's disaster with r38 not being able to add tax items to paychecks). I'm not quite ready to restore a two week old backup after all the accounting work I did last week. I'll just have to keep an eye on it, fingers and feet crossed, and do a prayer dance... :smiley:" alt=":smiley:" height="20" />
    I would suggest backing off to the R44.28 version but trying to continue with your latest file.  So many of the R45 troubles seem to be presenting the data, rather than the way the data is stored (written in the file).  No promises in that regard, and be diligent with your backups if you try that approach.  (I am still on R43.xx, FWIW).    
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's been my experience with recording investment transaction that this error occurs if you fill out all the fields on the transaction entry form. If you let Quicken calculate at least one value, this error does not appear for the usual small fry transactions.
    Fill out number of shares, total transaction amount, commission and let Quicken calculate the price per share to as many decimal places as it wants to, even if that results in a slightly different number from the one reported by the brokerage.
  • Private User
    Private User Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    more problems on the 401k investment display in post https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7926916/inconsistent-reporting-on-investment-lots-v45-21/p1?new=1

r45 sure looks like it is having some issues displaying data
This discussion has been closed.