Catagory and tag columns swapped

Leafme
Leafme Member ✭✭
In Q2011, I recently created a new account (checking account but the issue seems to happen to several account types I've tried). I'm now using win10 if that is the issue. Anyway, every account I have uses the two line view and it shows memo, category, tag (among other fields of course) in that order. Now every time I create a new account, the category and tag columns have swapped positions (e.g. memo, tag, category) but this is the case only for the newly created accounts. The older existing accounts have not changed the order of these three fields. I've looked everywhere I can think of but see no way to swap these two fileds. Any thoughts on how I can swap them? thanks. Signed annoyed as all get out.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try this.  Don't know which version it is from.  You can switch the memo and category fields by going to Edit  - Preferences - Register.  There is a checkbox "Show memo before category".  There is also one for "Show date before check number".  Other than adding or removing columns altogether, those are the only things you can move around.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Leafme
    Leafme Member ✭✭
    Thanks VG for the prompt reply. I did try both of those before my post and of course they do not change what I'm trying to change (unfortunately). What is really strange to me is why this all of a sudden happened. The only change I made was going from running q2011 on my win7 box and then I installed it on my new win10 box. I can get back to my win7 box and give it a try to see if that's it. Again, thanks for the help!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Try this. Back up your data file. Open a checking register which is set up the way you like it. Open the Columns menu and hit the gear way at the bottom. Then do "Make all 2-line checking registers like this". See if that fixes your problem registers.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leafme said:
    Thanks VG for the prompt reply. I did try both of those before my post and of course they do not change what I'm trying to change (unfortunately). What is really strange to me is why this all of a sudden happened. The only change I made was going from running q2011 on my win7 box and then I installed it on my new win10 box. I can get back to my win7 box and give it a try to see if that's it. Again, thanks for the help!
    When installing your Q 2011 in Windows 10, did you also install the latest available set of bug fixes?

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html
    Canadian version:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-canadian.html

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above. Save those downloaded files on external storage media, for future reference.

For Q 2011 you should download and install the file named Release R8 Mondo from the 2011 page.

• Leafme
    Leafme Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > Try this. Back up your data file. Open a checking register which is set up the way you like it. Open the Columns menu and hit the gear way at the bottom. Then do "Make all 2-line checking registers like this". See if that fixes your problem registers.

Thanks RJ. In q2011 the last item I observe on your list is "Payment." Everything from Status on down does not exist (no status, no Done, no gear w drop down arrow, so therefore no option to select Make all 2-line... and no Reset to... choices). Thanks for pointing this out though. I'd try a later version but for everyone I tried thru 2016 I didn't like other changes in either the account bar or the report printing. Don't use it for any investments or downloading so it's just a manual record database for me (which works out very well for me since I started in the early '90 w quicken). What version do you use?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Sorry, somehow I missed seeing you were on QW2011. I can't really advise you on that version since I don't have it and don't remember what features it did and didn't have. I'm on the subscription version, currently running R27.1.44.28.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Leafme
    Leafme Member ✭✭
    Hello UKR. Bingo ! That was the trick. After applying the R8M patch the two columns (tag, category) on the two new accounts I recently created miraculously traded places to now agree with all the other accounts. Whew. That was a doozie. Thanks to you, VG & RJ for the great prompt support. I did have that patch from years ago but forgot about applying it when I recently bought the new laptop to retire the old one. I will now leave a sticky note with the install CD that reminds me of this needed requirement. :)
This discussion has been closed.