Changing tags

mcctreasurer
mcctreasurer Unconfirmed, Member
I have some tags that are incorrect in a split transaction (I'm actually not sure how they became wrong -- I did not enter them incorrectly initially). When I try to change them to the correct tag and sync to the cloud, they change back to the original wrong tag.

I tried resetting the cloud but that did not work. I have seen many posts that say "delete and recreate the transaction" but there are so many wrong tags in my file that this would be too cumbersome. I have noticed that Quicken refused to acknowledge the bugs with tags, so am I just out of luck here?

I actually tried deleting and recreating the transaction and that somehow caused my file to get corrupted, so I'm at a loss on what to do.

Joe Pisano

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I have some tags that are incorrect in a split transaction (I'm actually not sure how they became wrong -- I did not enter them incorrectly initially). When I try to change them to the correct tag and sync to the cloud, they change back to the original wrong tag.

I tried resetting the cloud but that did not work. I have seen many posts that say "delete and recreate the transaction" but there are so many wrong tags in my file that this would be too cumbersome. I have noticed that Quicken refused to acknowledge the bugs with tags, so am I just out of luck here?

I actually tried deleting and recreating the transaction and that somehow caused my file to get corrupted, so I'm at a loss on what to do.

Joe Pisano
    Hello @mcctreasurer,       

I am sorry to hear about this issue with incorrect transaction information. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, what seems to have happened, in more detail, after your deleted and recreated the transaction? Also, where is your current active data file located? You should be able to check this by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Make sure that the data file is located on your computer, and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service. These latter locations can cause erratic program behavior, and even data damage.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jeffrey Requadt
    Jeffrey Requadt Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I am also having a similar issue. I have some transactions with multiple tags. Nothing with colons, just multiple lines, each with a separate tag. When I save the transaction and re-open it, many of the tags have been replaced by one tag that occurs repeatedly. [EDIT:] I notice that this happens after doing a One-Step Update EVEN THOUGH I do NOT sync to Quicken Cloud. I did just check, and this account is checked for sync even though the sync box in the update options is NOT checked.
  • Quicken Jared
    I am also having a similar issue. I have some transactions with multiple tags. Nothing with colons, just multiple lines, each with a separate tag. When I save the transaction and re-open it, many of the tags have been replaced by one tag that occurs repeatedly. [EDIT:] I notice that this happens after doing a One-Step Update EVEN THOUGH I do NOT sync to Quicken Cloud. I did just check, and this account is checked for sync even though the sync box in the update options is NOT checked.
    Hello @Jeffrey Requadt,  

I am sorry about this problem with tags being replaced. Thank you for seeking more information about this here in this Quicken Community Discussion.

Is this particular tag accurate; was it associated with the transactions prior to when the other tags disappeared? Also, could you confirm for us the location of your data file?

I look forward to your answers, and I hope to provide further assistance, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Paula L
    Paula L Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue. My data file is located on my computer. In pulling up a year-end report of one tag, I see two transactions that mistakenly have that tag. I go into the transactions and remove the tag. It still appears on the report. I reboot. It still appears on the report and now when I look at the transaction register again, the tags are back on there. Earlier this summer, there were a LOT of transactions where this particular tag appeared . . . all by itself. At the present time I just need to get my year-end tag report correct. How can I remove these transactions with the faulty tag from the report?
  • @Quicken Jared, yes, the tag is always one that was legitimately part of the split transaction (just not supposed to be assigned to all the split items). The data file is saved on my hard drive (C:\Users\[User Account]\Documents\ ... \filename.qdf). Sometimes there are two tags that repeat themselves. Also, some of these split transactions have 10+ splits and 9+ tags.
  • Quicken Jared
    Hello @Jeffrey Requadt, and "@Paula L",   

We are sorry to hear that these issues are continuing to affect the both of you. Thank you for letting us know more about what's happening.

First, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the same menu mentioned earlier, and then proceed through the steps listed below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Let us know if this seems to change the situation.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jared, yes, the tag is always one that was legitimately part of the split transaction (just not supposed to be assigned to all the split items). The data file is saved on my hard drive (C:\Users\[User Account]\Documents\ ... \filename.qdf). Sometimes there are two tags that repeat themselves. Also, some of these split transactions have 10+ splits and 9+ tags.
    you masked a part of the path name to your data file: C:\Users\[User Account]\Documents\ ... \filename.qdf
    Is that masked part simply "\Quicken\" or is it something like "\OneDrive\Quicken\"?
    Please note that the Quicken data file cannot be processed by OneDrive, Dropbox or any other kind of networked backup software while Quicken is running. This is not supported and will eventually lead to data file damage, possibly beyond repair. You can configure your backup software to stay away from the active data file. Configure the Backup options in Quicken to create a backup copy every time you close Quicken. Let your backup software send the QDF-backup file offsite to networked backup storage or a USB hard drive or USB stick.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    "To All"... MS has recently started marketing their "One Drive" aggressively. I suspect there are 2 reasons for this. #1) pull in a little extra (real state in the IT world is also $$$)  cash by selling you more storage in One Drive when you have your space filled up and, #2) to get people to have a back-up in One Drive should something go wrong especially with Windows 11coming out. They are basically doing what Quicken in really stressing the importance of a backup. 

The problem is (and I'm very tired of it) they are pushing the use of One Drive so hard that are are putting in your files even where you don't want it, like it or not. I have read various site where people are trying how to "delete" on drive from their PC's.
    People don't like it that users don't like it and don't want it, but MS is insisting you need it. I recently read a blog on "Ask Leo" about this as MS does not make it easy to remove or better yet just turn off

This is causing lots of confusion, as I too after close observation after installing a new desktop with Windows 1 and realizing that suddenly my backup files were indeed headed to One Drive.  T know there are Superusers that might be able to chime in on all that and provide some knowledge about One Drive how it works, what it does, how it does it, the pros and cons of (trying) to delete it and how to do so or should I, and and alternatives and work arounds. I know you are not support people for MS, but I feel that it is and will be affecting a lot more Quicken users as times roll on. I got bit by this when I lost everything on my PC change over after having my Qkn on screen working with transactions, was called away, wasn't until I came back realized Quick was left in an open state. After trying to reopen Quicken and I could only do a shutdown to get things rolling again after a problem when PC went to "sleep". A Disaster!  Thank You!
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps put the Qucklen files somewhere besides in "Documents," would help as One Drive automatically sends Documents to One Drive. It might be easier to control where you put the files, as opposed to trying to stop them from being sent automatically to MS one Drive because they were in the "Document" folder
  • @TTSguy and @UKR , my file is not connected to OneDrive. I use OneDrive extensively and for both personal and professional reasons, but this file is not located within it. I masked it simply because I don't like posting complete file locations in public forums.
  • @Quicken Jared I just uninstalled Quicken, deleted the Quicken folders from the computer, etc., then re-installed from downloading it. I will see how well this works. I have tried validating files in the past so I don't think that's the issue.
  • Paula L
    Paula L Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @Jeffrey Requadt, and "@Paula L",   
    >
    > We are sorry to hear that these issues are continuing to affect the both of you. Thank you for letting us know more about what's happening.
    >
    > First, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the same menu mentioned earlier, and then proceed through the steps listed below:* Navigate to File
    > * Select Validate and Repair File...
    > * Select Validate File
    > * Click OK
    > * Close the Data Log
    > * Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    > * Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 
    >
    > If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 
    >
    > * Navigate to File
    > * Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    > * Select Super Validate File
    > * Click OK
    > * Close the Data Log
    > * Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    > * Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    >
    > Let us know if this seems to change the situation.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

I did this and it worked! Thank you. I have removed the offending tags and my report is correct. I turned Quicken off and then on again and everything stayed where it was supposed to. FYI, as a previous poster wrote, this was happening on split transactions that were not all tagged the same. --paula
This discussion has been closed.