How can I delete inaccurately recorded stock names?

Nub1975
Nub1975 Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I bought shares of a COP and for some reason Quicken recorded it as shares of cash. I changed the name on the buy - shares bought transaction to COP; however Quicken still believes that I have shares of cash. I've since sold the shares of COP and am trying to delete the bogus shares of cash. Quicken will not allow me to delete the shares because Quicken says that I've used the security in one or more transactions. The other transactions are true cash transactions. How can I resolve this mismatch?

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure what you mean by "shares of cash".  What are the specific names of the two securities?  COP should be ConocoPhillips.  Do you have two securities with the same ticker COP?  Please try to clarify.
  • Nub1975
    Nub1975 Member ✭✭
    I know it seems strange but the Securities are COP and Cash. Why Quicken recorded COP as Cash is an unknown.
  • bmcgrego
    bmcgrego Member
    I'm having a similar problem since the first of the year. GNRC gets changed to GE, and can't create new securities in Quicken 22 (r45.21)
  • Nub1975
    Nub1975 Member ✭✭
    My problem first occurred on 6/10/2021. Not sure what release I was running then, but it was the most current at the time. I always update when updates are available. I also, bought/owned/sold COP in 2008 and this problem did not surface.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nub1975 So if you click that + next to Cash, you see the lot info about your COP holdings?
    If so, I suspect some file corruption issues. Go the file validation route including rebuilding lots. 

@bmcgrego -start your own question please. You have a different issue. 
  • Nub1975
    Nub1975 Member ✭✭
    No if I click the + next to Cash it shows the information that is exactly what is in the image.pnq file that I attached. Quicken is correct in showing that I have 0 shares of COP. However, it thinks that there are 106 shares of Cash. The exact number of shares that I changed from Cash to COP in the security name in the Buy - Shares bought transaction.
  • Nub1975
    Nub1975 Member ✭✭
    Validation and lot repair did not fix the issue. Good advice. It did uncover a couple of other potential issues, but it didn't fix the one we are discussing.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've since sold the shares of COP and am trying to delete the bogus shares of cash. Quicken will not allow me to delete the shares because Quicken says that I've used the security in one or more transactions. 
    So I take it you did manage to create a separate transaction that properly bought COP shares and you later sold those shares recording it as a Sell transaction.  

Have you just tried deleting the Buy transaction that indicates you bought "Cash"?  If you don't see a Delete action button on that Buy transaction line, you can user Ctrl-D or rt-click on the transaction which will offer a Delete option.  After doing that (assuming it is the only such transaction), you should be able to delete the bogus 'Cash' security.      
  • Nub1975
    Nub1975 Member ✭✭
    There were multiple buys for COP. All of the buy transactions that were recorded as Cash were changed to COP in the security name in the Buy - Shares bought transactions. I did try to delete one such transaction (for 3 shares) and manually enter it as a new transaction. The number of Cash shares reported by Quicken did not change.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t see that we talked placeholders. Make sure your preferences are set to show hidden transactions. Do any placeholders show up?  

Am I correct that the line you showed indicates you have negative 106 shares of cash?  That is, a short position?  
  • Nub1975
    Nub1975 Member ✭✭
    It shows as -106. I believe that is because quicken is still somehow tying the 106 shares of cash to the 106 shares of COP. I sold the 106 shares of COP. Quicken correctly recorded that transaction and the lots that were sold. Yet somehow/somewhere it also recorded this as a sale of 106 shares of cash that were never bought. These were the shares that the security name was changed from cash to COP. Show hidden transaction is on and I've been ignoring building placeholders. I've just added 106 shares of cash to the account with n cost and the -106 shares disappeared. Not the most elegant solution but it appears to have worked.
This discussion has been closed.