QFX Files will not Import

LostCanuck
LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
Hey Quicken Community,

Over the past couple days, my QFX files will not import into Quicken. I'm running R45.18, Build 27.1.45.18, Canada edition. My bank is RBC.

I manually download my files from the RBC webpage and double click the QFX file which usually imports the data automatically. I've tried downloading "since last downloaded" data from my bank and even tried "all records" from one of my less used accounts to see what would happen. No data is imported.

I opened one of the QFX files in Notepad and I can see new transactions in the QFX file.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Randy

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Quicken Community,

Over the past couple days, my QFX files will not import into Quicken. I'm running R45.18, Build 27.1.45.18, Canada edition. My bank is RBC.

I manually download my files from the RBC webpage and double click the QFX file which usually imports the data automatically. I've tried downloading "since last downloaded" data from my bank and even tried "all records" from one of my less used accounts to see what would happen. No data is imported.

I opened one of the QFX files in Notepad and I can see new transactions in the QFX file.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

Cheers,
    Randy
    Hello @LostCanuck,              

We are sorry about these problems with importing QFX downloads. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

If you have the chance, it would help us to troubleshoot the situation if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch
    4. Click Next
    5. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location
    6. Click Next
    7. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web
    8. Click Next 

You may then add your RBC-affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by clicking on the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper menu at the upper left-hand panel of the Quicken Window, choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file. 

Let us know about your results, if you get the chance.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared  

• LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Quicken Jared,

Thanks for the info. I was finally able to follow up and try what you outlined above.

I was able to download all my accounts from RBC into the "test" file as I would have expected.

Any suggestions for next steps?

Cheers,
    Randy
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
    Hey @quicken Jared,

I just created a copy of my original data file by renaming it to ("file name" - copy.QDF). I then deactivated the RBC on line accounts and re-associated them after setting up one account. Quicken downloaded all my accounts; not just the one I was trying to setup.

After downloading and associating the accounts, the download worked. It also appeared to have downloaded all the new activities from the last time I had a successful download.

I haven't tried it with my original file yet. Wanted to get your thoughts first.

Cheers,

Randy
  • Quicken Jared
    edited January 2023
    Hey @quicken Jared,

I just created a copy of my original data file by renaming it to ("file name" - copy.QDF). I then deactivated the RBC on line accounts and re-associated them after setting up one account. Quicken downloaded all my accounts; not just the one I was trying to setup.

After downloading and associating the accounts, the download worked. It also appeared to have downloaded all the new activities from the last time I had a successful download.

I haven't tried it with my original file yet. Wanted to get your thoughts first.

Cheers,

Randy
    Hello @LostCanuck,            

Thanks so much for getting back to me with more information about some additional developments in this situation. 

I am glad to hear that you have been able to achieve successful downloads through test data files and copied files; this will help us identify and isolate the problem. Navigate back to your original data file by going to File > Open Quicken File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the steps below, after saving a backup once more:
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Let us know how this works.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
    Hey @quicken Jared,

Yes, that appears to have fixed the issue. Any idea what I might have done to cause this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,
    Randy
  • Quicken Jared
    edited January 2023
    Hey @quicken Jared,

Yes, that appears to have fixed the issue. Any idea what I might have done to cause this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,
    Randy
    Hello @LostCanuck,        

Thanks so much for getting back to me about what results you noticed from the previous troubleshooting steps. I am happy to hear that the issue seems to have been resolved.

As far as a cause, do you leave Quicken open when it is not in use? Are you downloading a large number of files all at once? Beyond that, it may simply be that a file did not download correctly, and there may not have been any action on your part that caused this. Clearing the registration token allowed the program to start fresh when downloading and importing files.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns, and have a great day!

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.