"Bills & Inc" Tab crashes, Quicken validate always finding a damaged scheduled reminder

Hello, I have an issue with the "Bills & Income" tab in my current long term file (back to 2016 at least). If I click on the tab, Quicken hangs with the spinning wheel and never loads. I need to force quit the program and come back in.

I've run validates and supervalidates multiple times on the file and always get the following message. This also AFTER going in and deleting all 27 reoccurring items.

QDF:
Validating your data.
Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders.

If I go to "Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders" I can get the window to pop up with my reminders so I can still use the feature, but I can't use the richer interface in the bills and income tab. Right now, nothing shows in my Bills and Income Reminders as I have deleted them all. No other errors are reported.

Things I've tried to troubleshoot with no changes in behavior - I've used the same file with:
- Different computers
- Windows 10 and Windows 11
- Clean Windows Install and clean install of Quicken for Windows (I'm on a subscription and on the latest versions)
- Different storage locations for the file (one drive, file shares, local on the desktop)

I've also opened a blank clean file and the bills and income tab works, so clearly this is an issue with my file.

As I stated, this is a long term file and for the most part things are working well, everting is setup and linked, and plenty of history for reporting.

What else can I try to fix the file so everything works properly?

Thanks

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I have an issue with the "Bills & Income" tab in my current long term file (back to 2016 at least). If I click on the tab, Quicken hangs with the spinning wheel and never loads. I need to force quit the program and come back in.

I've run validates and supervalidates multiple times on the file and always get the following message. This also AFTER going in and deleting all 27 reoccurring items.

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders.

If I go to "Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders" I can get the window to pop up with my reminders so I can still use the feature, but I can't use the richer interface in the bills and income tab. Right now, nothing shows in my Bills and Income Reminders as I have deleted them all. No other errors are reported.

Things I've tried to troubleshoot with no changes in behavior - I've used the same file with:
    - Different computers
    - Windows 10 and Windows 11
    - Clean Windows Install and clean install of Quicken for Windows (I'm on a subscription and on the latest versions)
    - Different storage locations for the file (one drive, file shares, local on the desktop)

I've also opened a blank clean file and the bills and income tab works, so clearly this is an issue with my file.

As I stated, this is a long term file and for the most part things are working well, everting is setup and linked, and plenty of history for reporting.

What else can I try to fix the file so everything works properly?

Thanks
    Hello @BackwardsInTheSky,    

We are sorry to hear about this problem with crashing and damaged Reminder messages. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community, and for providing so much detail about the troubleshooting that's been done thus far.

f you haven't already, I suggest that you try clearing cache from Quicken to see if it may help. To do so, please close Quicken, remove the “Cache” folder from “C:\programData\Quicken”, then reopen Quicken.

Let us know how this works, if you get the chance.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • I tried clearing the cache and the problem still persists.
  • Quicken Jared
    I tried clearing the cache and the problem still persists.
    Hello @BackwardsInTheSky,  

Thank you for letting me know about your results after moving through the steps provided earlier. We are sorry that this problem is continuing.

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. All internal lists and database tables will be replaced. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward. 

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    Let us know how this works for you, if you have the opportunity to try this out.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Keep in mind the Copy process described above will create a new file copy that is disconnected from all of your online services. It does use a record-by-record copy process that can skip over damaged records, which it appears you have in the Reminders table, so it might work.

Test the new copy first before setting it up for downloads to see if the validation error clears. If the error does not clear, go back to using your current file as the new one will need all online services to be set up again.

One other longshot possibility is a file called QW.RMD. It is found in path: 
    C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Data

Delete it; it will recreate itself next time Quicken is opened. It's been a while since I've heard of anyone reporting it as a problem, but you said you have an old file so maybe it is old and corrupted.

One more longshot- in Tools>Manage Bill & Income Reminders, check the Options pull-down menu, Suggest Reminders. If the "Undo reminder you have declined..." is not greyed out, click it and then the option below that should un-grey, click it also. It could be a Suggested Reminder entry that is damaged. I would recommend turning off the Suggested Reminders options by unchecking the top 2 options.
  • drbfrog
    drbfrog Member ✭✭✭
    I have a similar problem and I appreciate the different ideas above. None worked to resolve the issues.

I have talked to support 3x and the 2nd time, we deleted the program and reinstalled all and the issue fixed itself. But the next day, it started again - possible after a OSU was completed. This points to some kind of code being introduced which is causing a conflict. My Quicken program also hangs when accepting entries downloaded from OSU on several files. If I accept all, the program does not hang.

The 3rd time I called support - earlier this week - I was told this is a known issue after being on hold for sometime and try again end of week. I am not confident the issue is known and would like to be part of the solution. Let me know how can help. I am a long-time Quicken user and have lots of data in the file.
  • Unfortunately, this process still did not yield a file that would pass validation. I do see the error still about damaged scheduled reminders.

I also tried all of the long shot ideas posted by markus1957.

That said, in the old file I was able to get the bills and income tab to load after manually deleting all of the bills and income reminders (I had 27).

Should I worry about the validation errors?

> @"Quicken Jared" said:
    > Hello @BackwardsInTheSky,  
    >
    > Thank you for letting me know about your results after moving through the steps provided earlier. We are sorry that this problem is continuing.One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. All internal lists and database tables will be replaced. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward. 
    >
    > With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:
    >
    > * Navigate to File
    > * Select Copy or Backup File...
    > * Select Create a copy or template
    > * Click Next 
    > * Select a file location on your computer
    > * Click Save Copy
    > * Select New Copy
    > * Click OK
    >
    > Let us know how this works for you, if you have the opportunity to try this out.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
  • Anyone else have anything to try?
  • Quicken Jared
    Anyone else have anything to try?
    Hello @BackwardsIntheSky,   

We are very sorry to hear that this issue persists, even after all of the previous recommendations were attempted. Thank you for continuing to work with us on this.

Given the ongoing nature of this problem, then it will be necessary to reach out to Quicken Support. You can do this with the information provided in this link. They will need to document and troubleshoot this issue in greater details with the resources and tools uniquely available to them. I wish that I could provide a resolution from the Quicken Community, but this represents the next necessary step in addressing this issue.

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.