I have noticed over the past several months that Quicken is running slow on a desktop and laptop.

What can I do to speed up the launch, usage and OSU. I am running on my desktop a core i7, 32GB of RAM, M.2 Drive. While running the program, RAM usage is below 30%, CPU is around 5%. I have the program stored on the desktop. I do move it between my laptop and desktop as needed. I have run SFC /ScanNow, I have validated the Quicken file. My file size is around 203mb.

It is getting almost unusable, it is so slow. I have no issues running Office products, Acrobat, Chrome, Edge and Firefox. Internet is 1gb down, and 200mb up.

I work from home and have lots of apps I use related to work and nothing is slow, except Quicken.

Please help me get Quicken program to feel like Windows 11 time and not Windows NT Workgroup. I have been using Quicken since 1994. Running Quicken Home and Business, run a rental business, an IT business and have many Securities.

What is the issue with running so slow?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Is your laptop plugged in while you're working with Quicken or are you running on battery with power saving reduced performance settings?
    Check your Control Panel / Power Options. Make sure the selected Power Plan allows for best performance while plugged in and while on battery.

Here's some more info to look at regarding performance: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7915476/faq-are-there-any-windows-settings-that-can-improve-quicken-s-performance

• KeithSCDC
    KeithSCDC Member ✭✭✭
    About 90% of the time, i am on my tower computer, which is a Core i7, 32GB of RAM, and is plugged into a USA 110 power outlet. This is where i complain of slowness. I am on my laptop, and the power options are set as you described.

This is part of the issue, slowness or some other problem, i don't know, but please look at the attachment. This happens almost every time I am in quicken.

A little background on me, I have been using Quicken since 1994 and know more about Quicken then Quicken support knows (which is not saying much, since they don't know much after you open Quicken), I have been Sr. IT Engineer since before Windows 3.0 came out, so I know a little about computers. So please don't come back with, some lame fix like backup your file. I will try any suggestion that is giving, just to make Quicken SuperUsers happy, but truthfully, this problem is within the quicken program, and want it noted that the program needs to be fixed.

I have slowness issues, when entering a line item in the register, issue with not displaying the full pop up windows, such as I attached.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions
  • dmdefig
    dmdefig Member
    This happens to me when Quicken and Edge/Chrome are open at the same time. Closing Quicken immediately improves Edge/Chrome, and vice versa. Might be helpful.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KeithSCDC said:
    About 90% of the time, i am on my tower computer, which is a Core i7, 32GB of RAM, and is plugged into a USA 110 power outlet. This is where i complain of slowness. I am on my laptop, and the power options are set as you described.

This is part of the issue, slowness or some other problem, i don't know, but please look at the attachment. This happens almost every time I am in quicken.

A little background on me, I have been using Quicken since 1994 and know more about Quicken then Quicken support knows (which is not saying much, since they don't know much after you open Quicken), I have been Sr. IT Engineer since before Windows 3.0 came out, so I know a little about computers. So please don't come back with, some lame fix like backup your file. I will try any suggestion that is giving, just to make Quicken SuperUsers happy, but truthfully, this problem is within the quicken program, and want it noted that the program needs to be fixed.

I have slowness issues, when entering a line item in the register, issue with not displaying the full pop up windows, such as I attached.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions
    As an IT professional, I’m assuming you know there is a troubleshooting process you go through to try to eliminate potential causes for a given issue. You’ve provided some background info - your hardware and your experience level - but you haven’t provided any info on the troubleshooting steps you’ve already tried. Which leaves us pretty much starting from scratch and recommending basic stuff like file validation. 

What troubleshooting steps have you already tried?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• > @mshiggins said:
    > As an IT professional, I’m assuming you know there is a troubleshooting process you go through to try to eliminate potential causes for a given issue. You’ve provided some background info - your hardware and your experience level - but you haven’t provided any info on the troubleshooting steps you’ve already tried. Which leaves us pretty much starting from scratch and recommending basic stuff like file validation. 
    > What troubleshooting steps have you already tried?
    I bet he has, as another Sr IT pro, Quicken becomes un responsive to me at times while my laptop is plugged into power
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > As an IT professional, I’m assuming you know there is a troubleshooting process you go through to try to eliminate potential causes for a given issue. You’ve provided some background info - your hardware and your experience level - but you haven’t provided any info on the troubleshooting steps you’ve already tried. Which leaves us pretty much starting from scratch and recommending basic stuff like file validation. 
    > What troubleshooting steps have you already tried?
    I bet he has, as another Sr IT pro, Quicken becomes un responsive to me at times while my laptop is plugged into power
    And yet you provided no info on the troubleshooting steps you have already tried...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dave Richardson
    Dave Richardson Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I'm on a i7 gen 6 laptop, 16Gb ram and we all have SSD drives, Plugged in, and trying to update my Three Capitol One accounts, the app is just spinning. Only app open is Quicken. It's been at least ten minutes now.
    I think what Keith is saying is that Quicken is running slower these days.
    It takes me hours to do anything on Quicken.

I think we would like to know if there is any solution to this.
    BTW my update for Capitol One is still running
  • KeithSCDC
    KeithSCDC Member ✭✭✭
    Solutions: You tell me what needs to be done to speed up Quicken. I run many other programs on my computer, such as Office, ERP software, Acrobat, Photoshop, some video editing software, and many IT related software and nothing runs slow except for Quicken. Entering a transaction is very slow in my check register, credit card register, and entering Stock transactions are painfully slow. I have not problems running a 200+ sheet Excel file, or opening editing a 1000+ page word document. I would think a core i7 and 32gb of ram could handle a 200k file that dates back to 1994 transactions, but it simply does not. Give me some solutions to speed up Quicken, or most likely maybe Quicken can fix the program.
  • It looks like the new build 27.1.46.12 version R46.12 the updates seem to speed up.
  • mepietro
    mepietro Member
    I'm having the same issues as described in this email chain. I have the latest build too and it's made no difference at all. I have been an IT engineer for 40 plus years and a big user of Quicken too. Since we upgraded to a subscription base it's been horrible. Also, the Wins system logs show nothing at all. BTW, I'm running 500Mbps on fiber, wired on a desktop.
  • With the new build I am having it crash a couple of times while using it on the weekend when balancing accounts and paying bills
  • KeithSCDC
    KeithSCDC Member ✭✭✭
    Where should we all see the speed difference, I only ask, since I am not seeing any difference and can you verify what build number we should all be on to see the improved speed and would like to see quickens notes on what they said about what they fixed?
  • KeithSCDC
    KeithSCDC Member ✭✭✭
    Opps, I hit post comment to quickly. Let me clarify what is going on currently and what I am asking for. I am on current build, 46.12 (I update the day they come out to my quicken and hope that speed issues are fixed), I will be in my checking account and will go to my investment account, it will take 3 to 5 seconds to refresh the screen on every investment account, and I have 14 accounts that is average of 56 seconds just waiting for the screen to refresh. That is great they fixed 1 time update, but that is not what I am asking about. I am asking about general speed of Quicken, going between screens, saving a transaction, all just very slow. I don't see that in any other program on my laptop or tower computer. I have current hardware that is running Windows 11 as stated before. This goes back for many years and I am sure i am not the only one that is having general speed issues with Quicken.
  • LOL Keith, yeah I see the same thing.
  • KeithSCDC
    KeithSCDC Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

[Removed - Speculation]

• Dave Richardson
    Dave Richardson Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023

[Removed - Off Topic]

• Paul Levine
    Paul Levine Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023