How do I get more than one year to import to a new computer

Tucson_Dan
Tucson_Dan Member ✭✭
I installed Quicken Mac on a new Mac. I ran the update on my old computer (also a Mac) making sure it was the most recent version. I then backed up the data and restored it to the new install. The entries start at 12/2021 and I'm missing categories that I created years ago on my old install (I believe the data goes back to 2011).

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    If you were using the current version of Quicken on your old Mac there's no need to import anything. Just zip up the Quicken file, copy that to the new Mac, unzip it, and you're all set. 

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Answer ✓
    If you were using the current version of Quicken on your old Mac there's no need to import anything. Just zip up the Quicken file, copy that to the new Mac, unzip it, and you're all set. 

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You said you created a backup on the old machine and restored it on the new machine, right? The most likely cause of what you're seeing is that you backed up or restored the wrong file. I have not seen any cases of missing data caused by a backup/restore operation.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Tucson_Dan
    Tucson_Dan Member ✭✭
    Where might I find those instructions? > @Jon said:
    > If you were using the current version of Quicken on your old Mac there's no need to import anything. Just zip up the Quicken file, copy that to the new Mac, unzip it, and you're all set. 

Thanks, @Jon. I'm assuming I will uninstall the version on my new one and follow your advice. Which Quicken files/folders?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    1. Open Quicken on the old Machine
    2. Double check that the file you are looking at contains all and up to date transactions
    3. Click menu File > Save a Backup...
    4. Change the file dialog destination to the Desktop
    5. Quit Quicken
    6. Copy the file you just created (filename.quickenbackup) to the new computer using a flash drive, Dropbox, etc.
    7. On the new computer, open Quicken
    8. Make sure you're signed into your Quicken account (if the File menu says "Sign Out", the you are signed in. Otherwise, sign in).
    9. Double click the file you moved (filename.quickenbackup)
    10. When Quicken asks, Are you sure you want to restore this file, click Restore This File
    11. Check that the restored file on the new computer is up to date.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jon
    edited January 2023
    You don't need to uninstall Quicken; I meant you should copy the Quicken data file, not the app.

Here's what I would do:

On your old Mac:
    1. Open Quicken.
    2. From the file menu, select "Show <name> in Finder". This will open a Finder window at the location of your Quicken file.
    3. Close Quicken.
    4. In the Finder window, right click on the Quicken file & select "Compress <file name>". This creates a .zip file.
    5. Copy the .zip file to a USB stick.

On your new Mac:
    1. Open a Finder window & navigate to the folder where you want to place your Quicken file. The default location used by Quicken is "/Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents". (If you can't see the Library folder in your home folder, go to your home folder in Finder, select Show View Options from the View menu, and check "Show Library Folder".)
    2. Copy the zip file from the USB stick to this folder.
    3. Double click the zip file to uncompress it.
    4. Delete the zip file.
    5. Double click on your Quicken file to open it in 
    Quicken.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And when looking at the transactions on your new computer, have you checked that
    • the register is not filtered to show only "Last 12 months" or something similar instead of "All Dates"
    • the register filter is set to also show "All Transactions" and "Any Type (of transactions)"
    • the register is correctly sorted by Date (your preference: ascending or descending date) and
    • the register is scrolled all the way to the top (or bottom) to show most recent and/or oldest transactions
  • Tucson_Dan
    Tucson_Dan Member ✭✭
    Sorry for the delayed response. @Jon I've had an experience when I had similar issues. I've noticed that the categories on this new install don't match with my entries on the old. I'm concerned that the import will duplicate the entries for this last year as the categories difference may result in that. @UKR I checked the register and it's not a register view issue. All of the registers first date is in Dec 21 and are balance adjustments.

I will backup this new install and try @Jon suggestion. Thanks to both of you for your help! I will update.
  • Jon
    edited January 2023
    Categories are part of your Quicken data file, so by moving the entire file over your categories should be preserved. I sometimes move my Quicken file to a laptop when traveling & then back to a desktop Mac when I get back home, and I don't have any issues with categories.

• Tucson_Dan
    Tucson_Dan Member ✭✭
    I will try this, but I'm a bit confused. For the last attempt, I selected Back up to and created one copy on the old Mac and then repeated that directly to a thumb drive. The thumb drive installation import left me with one year. How would copying that file from the version that is on my old Mac result in anything different? Is there a setting in the old one that I need to look at to make sure all data is included?
  • Jon
    Not that I know of. Like I said, I copy the file back & forth between two different Macs similar to how I described above & don't lose anything.

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tucson_Dan

After you make a file on the old computer that you plan to move to the new computer, you can verify that that file is good by opening it up in Quicken on the old computer.

I would follow the following steps:
    1. Launch Quicken
    2. Verify the data file that loads is the one you wish to move to the new computer - i. e. your current working Quicken Data file.
    3. In Quicken's menu: File > Save a Backup...
    4. In Finder: Copy the backup you just saved to your thumb drive.
    Now test the backup file:
    1. In Quicken: File > Restore from Backup... and select the backup file created in step 3 above.
    2. Verify the data file that loads has the correct data - i. e., that the Backup is a true copy of the original data file.
    Now test the backup copy on the thumb drive:
    1. In Quicken: File > Restore from Backup... and select the backup file on the thumb drive
    2. Verify the data file that loads has the correct data - i. e., that the Backup is a true copy of the original data file.

Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Tucson_Dan
    Tucson_Dan Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your input. I will incorporate this logic into my process. I will update with my results. I appreciate your help.
  • rachelgomez
    rachelgomez Member ✭✭
    Direct file transfer via an external drive
    You can connect an external hard drive, SD card, or thumb drive to your old PC, copy your files to it, then eject that device from the old computer, plug it into the new PC and copy the files to that new PC.

Regards,
    Rachel Gomez
This discussion has been closed.