Bond Maturity report needs improvement [edited]

q_lurker
q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports
The Maturity Date report for bonds and CDs is structured more simply with fewer options than most Quicken reports.  I suggest some enhancements to that report would benefit many users.

1) Add totals to the listed bonds and CDs to show both the total face value (@ $100/share for bonds, $1/share for CDS) and total current market value. (See:https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/total-up-bond-shares)
EDIT:  current link = 
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19264219#Comment_19264219) 

2) Correct the "NA" that reports as Purchase Date for some Bonds

3) Allow Subtotals By:  Account, Security Type, Security (current format). Month, Quarter, or Year.  The Month / Quarter / Year options would be using the maturity date.  

4) Subtotal By Account should include the '+' expansion option for completeness and consistency with the difference being possibly different purchase dates.

5)  Add a column option for Call Date (default to include)

6)  Add a columns for Yield to Maturity (default to include)

The gist of this improvements should make the report more valuable to the user and more consistent with customization options in other reports. 
19 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Lauren Babus
    Lauren Babus Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    These enhancements would be very useful as more users are purchasing individual bonds and want to monitor them as they do their equity purchases.
  • David H
    David H Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    A bond ladder report(Maturity Report) is a basic investment tool that should be available.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

[removed]

I had already voted for this idea [removed]. I think it's a good idea and don't know why they would reject it so quickly.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• RickDetroit
    RickDetroit Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I totally agree with your requested enhancements.  All are solid suggestions that will benefit most fixed income investors by making this report more useful.   Especially since fields like "call date" and "yield to maturity" are already in the security data record anyway.  And fixing that "NA" problem on purchase date - that's the issue I was researching that brought me to this thread this morning.   But your suggestions are all excellent - thanks for posting.  Quicken - please consider addressing this.  
  • dstrempel
    dstrempel Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > The Maturity Date report for bonds and CDs is structured more simply with fewer options than most Quicken reports.  I suggest some enhancements to that report would benefit many users.
    >
    > 1) Add totals to the listed bonds and CDs to show both the total face value (@ $100/share for bonds, $1/share for CDS) and total current market value. (See:https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/total-up-bond-shares)
    >
    > 2) Correct the "NA" that reports as Purchase Date for some Bonds
    >
    > 3) Allow Subtotals By:  Account, Security Type, Security (current format). Month, Quarter, or Year.  The Month / Quarter / Year options would be using the maturity date.  
    >
    > 4) Subtotal By Account should include the '+' expansion option for completeness and consistency with the difference being possibly different purchase dates.
    >
    > 5)  Add a column option for Call Date (default to include)
    >
    > 6)  Add a columns for Yield to Maturity (default to include)
    >
    > The gist of this improvements should make the report more valuable to the user and more consistent with customization options in other reports. 

Yes PLEASE!
  • Joseph Arden
    Joseph Arden Member ✭✭✭
    YES! Please improve this report!!!
  • Doug N.
    Doug N. Member ✭✭
    STRONGLY recommend adding Call Date as a column in the report. For anyone holding bonds for more than a few years, the Call Date is much more important right now than the maturity date.
  • Jeanne
    Jeanne Member ✭✭✭
    I'd like to agree with all suggestions, especially call date.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This idea has gotten strongly positive comments from 9 different people, yet only 5 votes, including my own. What’s up with that?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited September 2021
    q_lurker said:
    This idea has gotten strongly positive comments from 9 different people, yet only 5 votes, including my own. What’s up with that?
    Looks like it got migrated from GetSat. (See link in OP.) Comments would migrate, but votes wouldn't. I don't even remember what my now-redacted comment above used to say.
    There's another bug in this report which hasn't yet been mentioned. The title reads "All Dates" even when "Show future maturity dates only" is checked (which, in my case, is always).

And as long as we're fantasizing about this report, how about adding "Yield to Worst", the lower of Yield to Maturity and Yield to Call.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited October 2021
    And another bug in this report (which has been mentioned elsewhere but not in this thread) is that bonds & CDs continue to appear even after they've been redeemed. This caught me today; the report showed a bond maturing on 12/1/21 but it had been called back in 2016. I had to manually remove the maturity date to make it disappear from the report.

Edit: I see this was mentioned above.

• David Roehl
    David Roehl Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Not sure if there is something more recent on this, but wouldn't it be nice if a bond/CD has a cusip, Quicken actually brought in the correct bond class, maturity date, call date, etc.
  • Doug N.
    Doug N. Member ✭✭
    Strongly agree with adding "Call Date" for bonds to the CD/Bond Maturity Report and as an option in Portfolio view.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2023
    Novice bond buyer here....good ideas! 

In addition to @q_lurker features,  I would like to see a configurable cashflow graph option in the report so that I can see value v. maturity date, as I build a bond portfolio.  This will help see better what cash will be available soon to fund living expenses, invest in equities, keep in cash or roll to a new bond.  

Example...

• ChicagoGuy
    ChicagoGuy Member ✭✭✭
    It would be helpful if the Maturity Report for Bonds and CDs report, also displayed CUSIP and YTM. btw... In one case, I saw Symbol = CUSIP. Typically, Symbol is shown as blank. Not sure which way is correct.
  • markkwilder
    markkwilder Member

One other problem with the "Maturity Report for Bonds and CD's" - where is this report getting the purchase date from? All the purchase dates are wrong. Some of them even show dates prior to when I opened the brokerage account from where I purchased the CD's. Any one else notice this problem?

• evergreen97
    evergreen97 Member

Quicken bug squashers please note - another problem with the Maturity Dates for Bonds and CDs report:

When transferring Bonds from one brokerage account to another, the Purchase Date reported for the transferred Bonds shows the date of the Bonds' transfer to the new account.

The correct date to report is the original Bond Purchase Date.