Transfer existing to new Account.

DrJ
DrJ Member ✭✭
I have all my investing accounts under investments. I would like to transfer some to a new account so I would have separate totals for the two different investment groups. Is there a way to make a new file named "other investments" and transfer the accounts into the new one without starting over?

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi @DrJ,

Can you give us some more information so that we can assist you better?

When you say "I would like to transfer some to a new account" - do you mean to a new Quicken datafile, or something else (like a new "account" within your current Quicken datafile)?

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @DrJ

While you'll be able to see the accounts and each one's balance in the Accounts Bar, there isn't a way to subtotal individual groups of accounts in that Bar.  So, I think the best way for you to see the information in the way you describe, would be to use the fairly new "Dashboard" rather than the "Accounts Bar". 

1) To see the cards on the "Dashboard" - just click on the "Home" tab > then click on "Dashboard".
    2) Next - go to the "Portfolio" card and drag it to the top left-hand corner;
    3) Click on the three dots in the upper-right of the card and select "Duplicate Card".  You should now see two "Portfolio Value" cards side-by-side;
    4) In the first Card - click on the three lines to the left of the three dots > select "Custom" > hit the "Selected accounts" button > then hit the "Clear All" button > then page-down and click the box next to each of the "non-retirement investment accounts" . Then select "OK".  This will complete this card, which will display the current value of your non-retirement investments.
    5) Click on the second card. Click on the three dots in the upper-right of the card and select "Rename Card" > then edit the word "Copy" to "Retirement".
    6) Similar to step 4) above - follow the same steps to include/select only the "Retirement" accounts.
    7) And finally - click on the little :Down arrow next to "Year to date" for each card and select the relevant time frame that you'd like to see.

Once you take these steps, you should be able to see each investment group at a glance and side-by-side. 

As another alternative, you could design a "Report" that will also show you the data (and even more detail) that you could save, run and then print (or save to PDF). at whatever interval you'd like.

I hope this helps you to get the data you want to see in a format that works for you.  If you have any followups, please feel free to get back to me.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi @DrJ,

Can you give us some more information so that we can assist you better?

When you say "I would like to transfer some to a new account" - do you mean to a new Quicken datafile, or something else (like a new "account" within your current Quicken datafile)?

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

• DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    Sorry, not really up on the lingo yet. I have 6 investment accounts that are all listed under "Investments". Two of them are 401s so I would like to separate them from the other 4. That way I would have separate totals for the two companies and the remaining 4 companies. I would like to separate them without losing any data. Is there a relatively easy way to do this?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @DrJ,

No problem with the lingo, I just like to make sure I understand the issue (and I may not be the brightest bulb on the string...).

Are any of the :"other 4" accounts (not the 401k's) also retirement type accounts, or are they non-retirement investing type accounts (like taxable brokerage accounts, or non-retirement mutual fund accounts?

And when you say you want to "separate them" - are you talking about the way they appear in the "Accounts Bar" on the Quicken home screen, or in the way they appear in a certain report or reports?

Frankx 

• DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    Frank’s Thanks for the fast turnaround. If you’re the dimmest that would make mine turned off. The other 4 acts are all taxable, 2 are mutual funds, other two are individual stocks. It would be great to have it so up on the homepage.
    Thanks for the help
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @DrJ

While you'll be able to see the accounts and each one's balance in the Accounts Bar, there isn't a way to subtotal individual groups of accounts in that Bar.  So, I think the best way for you to see the information in the way you describe, would be to use the fairly new "Dashboard" rather than the "Accounts Bar". 

1) To see the cards on the "Dashboard" - just click on the "Home" tab > then click on "Dashboard".
    2) Next - go to the "Portfolio" card and drag it to the top left-hand corner;
    3) Click on the three dots in the upper-right of the card and select "Duplicate Card".  You should now see two "Portfolio Value" cards side-by-side;
    4) In the first Card - click on the three lines to the left of the three dots > select "Custom" > hit the "Selected accounts" button > then hit the "Clear All" button > then page-down and click the box next to each of the "non-retirement investment accounts" . Then select "OK".  This will complete this card, which will display the current value of your non-retirement investments.
    5) Click on the second card. Click on the three dots in the upper-right of the card and select "Rename Card" > then edit the word "Copy" to "Retirement".
    6) Similar to step 4) above - follow the same steps to include/select only the "Retirement" accounts.
    7) And finally - click on the little :Down arrow next to "Year to date" for each card and select the relevant time frame that you'd like to see.

Once you take these steps, you should be able to see each investment group at a glance and side-by-side. 

As another alternative, you could design a "Report" that will also show you the data (and even more detail) that you could save, run and then print (or save to PDF). at whatever interval you'd like.

I hope this helps you to get the data you want to see in a format that works for you.  If you have any followups, please feel free to get back to me.

Frankx

• DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    Frankx fantastic help. I was able to do both ways and having a lot of fun. Thanks for your help and your patience.
    Johnx
This discussion has been closed.