Unable to Change Dates in Register

Options
JamesBlank
JamesBlank Member ✭✭
I am trying to fix some data entry issues in one of my investment accounts. If I edit the transaction, change the date and select the "enter" button, the transaction disappears and I get a new empty transaction at the bottom of the register. At that point, I am unable to delete the new transactions. Selecting the delete button does nothing, highlighting the transactions and pressing the delete key on the keyboard does nothing.

Is this a bug? It is very frustrating as this account is not totally messed up.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am trying to fix some data entry issues in one of my investment accounts. If I edit the transaction, change the date and select the "enter" button, the transaction disappears and I get a new empty transaction at the bottom of the register. At that point, I am unable to delete the new transactions. Selecting the delete button does nothing, highlighting the transactions and pressing the delete key on the keyboard does nothing.

Hello @JamesBlank,    

We are sorry about this problem with editing transaction information. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community.

I was unable to reproduce this error internally. First, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Then, if you haven't already, proceed through the steps listed below, in order:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Let us know about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There always is "a new empty transaction at the bottom of the register". This blank transaction line is used to enter a new transaction. And, no, you cannot get rid of a blank new transaction entry line. The program won't allow it.
    When you change the date of a transaction, it will be moved to its new place in the register. Depending on the new date, this could be well above the few transactions shown in the register window.
    Can you find the transaction by scrolling back in the register?
    Did you type the correct date, especially when you're trying to adjust a date from prior years, e.g. 101122 for Oct. 11, 2022?
  • JamesBlank
    JamesBlank Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will send the info that Jared requested. No this is not the "empty" line at the bottom of the register. If tried to change the date on three transactions. Afterward, I have three nearly empty transactions at the end of the register and the original three transactions are no longer in the register.
  • JamesBlank
    JamesBlank Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just did the validate recommendation. Quicken crashes and has a pop-up: quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run.
  • JamesBlank
    JamesBlank Member ✭✭
    Options
    Did the Super Validate option and it completed. Once I waited the prescribed time, I went back in and made a date change to the register and it worked! Thanks Jared.
This discussion has been closed.