Checking account entries are missing.

Options
oldmanjohn
oldmanjohn Member ✭✭
Most of the daily entries in my checking account are missing, yet the balance is correct. How could that be and how can I correct it.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi @oldmanjohn,

It is possible that you've unintentionally sorted your account register.  

At the very top of the account register, first - make sure there is nothing in the "Search" field. Next, click on the little "down arrow" to the left of the "Filters" boxes.  That will clear any filters.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx. 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• oldmanjohn
    oldmanjohn Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Frankx for your reply. I am sorry to report that your suggestion did not work. Do you have any other suggestions?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Frankx gave you a short response. He did not mention to check if the register is actually sorted by Date.
    The longer answer is here:

Filtered register? Unexpected register sort order? "Missing" data? Unusual Running Balance?

Did an unexpected mouse click mess up your register?
    Could it be that your account register in Quicken is
    - filtered to show only certain transaction types or
    - sorted in some unexpected way other than by Date or
    - limited to a certain Date Range or
    - perhaps only showing the results of a search instead of "all transactions" or
    - not scrolled all the way to the top or bottom of the register?

Filtered register?

Check the filter settings (on top of the register). Is the register filtered in any way to only show selected transactions? If so, click the Reset button to reset the filters.

To show all transactions in the register, the Filter settings should be:

"All Dates", "Any Type", "All Transactions".

Date Range filter selection excludes the dates you're interested in?
    Check the Date Range filter to see if it prevents you from seeing the dates you're interested in. For example, a Date Range = "This Year" won't show you last year's transactions

Only Search results shown?

Is there any text in the Search box in the upper right-hand corner at the top of the account register?

If there is text and a (red) X, click the X to reset the register from showing only search results back to normal mode.

Unexpected Register sort order?

Is the register sorted in any way other than by ascending Date? Look at the register's column header ... which column header is highlighted and/or has the little black triangle?

About Register sort order:

For best results, your account register should be sorted by Date in ascending order.

Click a register column header to effect a different sort order by the clicked column. Click the same column header again to toggle between ascending and descending sort order. A small triangle next to the column header indicates the sort order: "▲" pointing up for ascending or "▼" pointing down for descending sort order.

For more Register Sorting Options, click the Account Actions gear icon then click Sorting Options. Review and work with the available sorting options to see what they do.

New transactions appear to go missing right after you save them?

For example,  you are entering a number of back-dated transactions and they appear to disappear ... they're most likely above the currently shown transactions page in the register and you have to scroll up to see them. To keep them on the screen, Sorting Option "By Order Entered" will help keep these transactions on the bottom of the register, next to the new transaction entry line. Just don't forget to re-sort the register by Date when you're done.

If after all of the above you have determined that transactions truly are missing from your data file, consider restoring a backup: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
  • oldmanjohn
    oldmanjohn Member ✭✭
    Options
    I wasn't able to change anything with the above info. I now realize that the only entries in the check register are for 5 payees. These 5 are the only entries that show up. The filters are set on All, Any and All.
  • oldmanjohn
    oldmanjohn Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for trying to help. I finally just restored from a backup file and reentered the most current entries. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.