Purchase of Old Bank by New Bank

Probably a really dumb question.....but I'm asking anyway and I don't know which category to put this in.

Our old hometown bank was purchased by another bank. Supposedly our account and routing numbers are supposed to stay the same. We use Quicken to keep track of our farm/ranch expenses and assets.
In your opinion, would NOW be a good time to close the old bank accounts in quicken and make "new" accounts and just start over with it being the 1st of the year? AND If I do close out those accounts can I still access the data (providing I back it up/save it) incase we get audited - I keep stuff for 7 years just in case.

Also, I scan my receipts into each transaction - I keep the hard copies - will I be able to go back and search/access the receipts if I close the account?

Thanks! I am going to assume everyone is awesome and helpful? :-)
Tagged:

Best Answer

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I would leave it alone and just rename your account if it happens to have the bank name in it (within Quicken).  You may or may not get instructions on how to change your online connection.

My bank went through about 4 mergers/buyouts over the years and my routing/account number stayed the same so it was really the same account.  The ownership didn't change anything - old checks with old bank name still worked etc.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I would leave it alone and just rename your account if it happens to have the bank name in it (within Quicken).  You may or may not get instructions on how to change your online connection.

My bank went through about 4 mergers/buyouts over the years and my routing/account number stayed the same so it was really the same account.  The ownership didn't change anything - old checks with old bank name still worked etc.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.