downloaded asset information incorrect for (at least) VEMBX

Pacoinconn
Pacoinconn Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I just noticed that Quicken is showing incorrect asset information for a mutual fund (VEMBX) that I've purchased. This is an emerging markets bond fund...I've verified the classification as well as holdings on Morningstar and Vanguard. However Quicken reports it with 91% domestic bond holdings and 9% cash.

I'm now wondering whether other holdings' downloaded information are also inaccurate in Quicken. While I don't use the investment tools as the only source to perform portfolio analysis, I do periodically use it to "keep an eye" on our asset allocation. Now I'm not sure that I can rely on it for even that simple purpose.

Quicken Support said I should contact Vanguard. Not sure that makes sens...are the individual financial institutions providing this information or does Quicken use a service so that there is consistency for a security regardless of which financial institution is holding the security.

And should I have any expectation that it will be corrected?

Running R41.19 Build 27.1.41.19 (not updating until the issue with ESPPs is definitively fixed).

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added VEMBX to my file and got the same 91% Domestic Bonds / 9% Cash Asset mix you are reporting.  This is an error on the part of Quicken's data supplier and can only be resolved by them.  I suggest (and am doing myself) the Report a Problem path via Quicken's Help.

It is reasonable to have the expectation that it will be corrected.  Time to correct is the great unknown.  Not likely 'tomorrow'.  Could be months.

Typically I only became aware of such misses by way of posts on this site.  They do happen.  They can take time to get resolved.  These errors can occur stocks as well, though they seem more common in mutual funds.  I don't use the asset class information to any great degree so I can't comment on the frequency of these errors.  My guess is that the are pretty limited.  Anyone counting on the validity of the asset class data would e well advised to review it thoroughly for their specific portfolio.  

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Followup Comment - in this case, the suitable standard classification options within Quicken are Domestic Bonds or Global Bonds.  Clearly to me, the Global Bonds options is the better choice.  I suspect what happens is the the data supplier is charged with reworking the broader, more accurate data from the fund into Quicken's limited, less specific, standard asset classes.  It is from that transformation that these types of errors develop.  (While it is possible that some corner of Qucken's operation makes that transformation of classes, I judge that to be unlikely.) 
  • Pacoinconn
    Pacoinconn Member ✭✭
    @q_lurker

Thank you for the additional information...you've confirmed that the issue is not at my end and that the issue is likely with Quicken's information supplier.

I've reported the problem using Quicken Help. Will monitor periodically to see if it's resolved. I have too many securities/funds to verify the others so will continue to rely on non-Quicken method to monitor asset allocation.
This discussion has been closed.