Can neither activate download nor deactivate account

Four of my accounts from one bank are effectively barred from online downloads and updates. When I try to activate downloads I am sent to the bank website, everything appears to work but when back to Quicken the accounts are marked "Don't add to Quicken." When I try to edit them, the online tab doesn't offer me an option to deactivate. My only possibilities are to enter an endless cycle of circles.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi again @ebvanness

Okay, I think I may have a solution.  Before you take the steps outlined below, make sure you backup you datafile first, just in case.

First, you need to Deactivate every account that you have with Capital One.  To do that - for each account:
    1) Open up the account register;
    2) Click on the little "Gear" icon in the upper right;
    3) Choose "Edit Account Details;
    4) Click on the "Online Services" tab;
    5) Click the "Deactivate" button > click Yes in the pop-up question.

Once you have completed the steps above:

From the Quicken Home Screen:
    1) Click on "Edit" in the uppermost ribbon:
    2) Select "Preferences:
    3) In the pop-up window - Select "Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts"
    4) Click on the "Sign in as a different user" link;
    5) In the question box type "yes" and hit the "Sign Out" button;
    6) In the new pop-up window > insert your email address and password
     > then click "Sign In"
    7) At the "success window" click close.

Once you are back in Quicken - Select "Tools" > "Add Account" > then enter your Financial Institution's name and go through the process of reconnecting all your Capital One accounts.  This time it should work.

Let me know how that all goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please provide more details.

What edition level (Starter Edition, Deluxe, etc.), version and release of Quicken (R xx.xx) are you using? Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to determine year/version and release.  You must be on the latest release (patch) level for your supported Quicken Subscription version. If you're missing patches, update your software first.
    US, Canadian or other international version of Quicken?
    Is your subscription still active? Or is it expired?
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?
    What error codes, error messages, symptoms do you get?
    What bank(s) are you having issues with?
    What account types (checking, savings, etc.) are you having issues with?
    Does this problem occur when you run One Step Update (Mac: update all accounts) from your desktop/laptop or when you initiate a download using the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web?
    What have you tried so far to resolve the issue?

• ebvanness
    ebvanness Member
    What edition level (Starter Edition, Deluxe, etc.), version and release of Quicken (R xx.xx) are you using? Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to determine year/version and release. QUICKEN DELUXE V R47.7 BUILD 27.1.47.7
    You must be on the latest release (patch) level for your supported Quicken Subscription version. If you're missing patches, update your software first. CHECK FOR UPDATES -> "YOU ALREADY HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF QUICKEN (RELEASE 47.7)
    US, Canadian or other international version of Quicken? NOT SURE, BUT I WOULD GUESS IT'S THE US VERSION
    Is your subscription still active? Or is it expired? ACTIVE UNTIL JAN 31 2024 (368 DAYS FROM TODAY)
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using? WINDOWS 10 HOME
    What error codes, error messages, symptoms do you get? I DON'T GET ANY ERROR MESSAGES DURING THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO ACTIVATE. I CONNECT SEAMLESSLY TO THE BANK. ENDING WITH A MESSAGE THAT "Your accounts have been authorized successfully! You will now be redirected back to Quicken. If you are not redirected in a few seconds, you can close this window and return to Quicken" BUT WHEN I RETURN TO QUICKEN I AM RIGHT BACK WHERE I STARTED, WITH ALL FIVE ACCOUNTS SHOWING, IN THE "ACTION" COLUMN, "DON'T ADD TO QUICKEN."
    What bank(s) are you having issues with? CAPITAL ONE
    What account types (checking, savings, etc.) are you having issues with? SAVINGS ACCOUNT, ONE CAPITAL ONE "QUICKSILVER" CARD, AND THREE STORE CREDIT CARDS (WEST ELM, WALMART, POTTERY BARN.)
    Does this problem occur when you run One Step Update (Mac: update all accounts) from your desktop/laptop or when you initiate a download using the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web? DESKTOP/LAPTOP (WHICH IS MY PREFERRED PLATFORM(
    What have you tried so far to resolve the issue?
  • ebvanness
    ebvanness Member
    RE: "What have you tried so far to resolve the issue?" I HAVE REPEATED THE PROCESS, REBOOTED, REPEATED, SYNCED, SAID NO TO SYNC, TRIED FROM THE ACCOUNT LIST, TRIED FROM ONE STEP UPDATE, TRIED FROM THE SPECIFIC ACCOUNTS.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ebvanness,

I am familiar with the Cap1 process, and it sounds like it is working okay until the last part - when you return to Quicken and see the "don't add..." message.  On that screen, have you tried clicking on that "don't add" box? It should show other options, including the names of your accounts at the bank.  You should be able to "Link" to the relevant accounts from that screen and then close it to complete the process.

Get back to me with an update.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• ebvanness
    ebvanness Member
    Hi Frankx, it doesn't have a dropdown and it's not an active link. it does show all of my accounts; they all say "don't add."
    I have a screenshot if that would be helpful -- but I believe I'm describing it accurately. Thank you for any ideas you might have.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi again @ebvanness

Okay, I think I may have a solution.  Before you take the steps outlined below, make sure you backup you datafile first, just in case.

First, you need to Deactivate every account that you have with Capital One.  To do that - for each account:
    1) Open up the account register;
    2) Click on the little "Gear" icon in the upper right;
    3) Choose "Edit Account Details;
    4) Click on the "Online Services" tab;
    5) Click the "Deactivate" button > click Yes in the pop-up question.

Once you have completed the steps above:

From the Quicken Home Screen:
    1) Click on "Edit" in the uppermost ribbon:
    2) Select "Preferences:
    3) In the pop-up window - Select "Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts"
    4) Click on the "Sign in as a different user" link;
    5) In the question box type "yes" and hit the "Sign Out" button;
    6) In the new pop-up window > insert your email address and password
     > then click "Sign In"
    7) At the "success window" click close.

Once you are back in Quicken - Select "Tools" > "Add Account" > then enter your Financial Institution's name and go through the process of reconnecting all your Capital One accounts.  This time it should work.

Let me know how that all goes.

Frankx

• ebvanness
    ebvanness Member
    Hi, Frankx, it kind of worked, but it's still buggy -- the Capital One Accounts only downloaded old info --- nothing from this year came down --- so I tried a one step update to see if anything else would show up. I then received a notice that my CHASE accounts required reauthorizations (they never had before) and when I proceeded through those steps, I was then in the same predicament w/ Chase as I had been with Capital One. :-(
    I'm going to try again, but this time I will deactivate ALL of my accounts -- It may take a while, I will let you know how it goes.
    I really appreciate your help with this!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ebvanness,

I have never seen a post indicating a "dual problem" with two different FI's.  Were you having prior problems with Chase?  Did the steps fix Cap1?

Anyway, let me know what happens, etc.

Frankx

• ebvanness
    ebvanness Member
    Hi, Frankx, This has been quite frustrating. I thought everything was in order but now once again I am getting "don't add to quicken," this time on my chase accounts (two retail-specific credit cards.) I also am no longer able to link two retail-specific cards from SYNCHRONY, apparently because that bank uses log ins from the individual retailers, who are not banks, and there does not appear to be a way to set up quicken updates for them, or for their log-in URLs. This was surprising because
    prior to these problems, both cards were set up for one-step update.
    Tonight I will try the entire process over again, being sure to do the log-out and log-back-in-again that you recommended. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations.
  • ebvanness
    ebvanness Member
    ps that chase problem started after it had seemed to put everything in place correctly -- but then the next time I tried to do a complete one-step update, Quicken generated a message that "Your financial institution has changed to a new method of providing data to applications like Quicken. Going forward, you'll use a bank-hosted sign-in form to authorize downloads." and indicated that I had to set it up AGAIN. Then during that process, chase said the accounts were already activated. Then CHASE said they had been authorized. But then they show up as DON'T ADD TO QUICKEN, and it is also now not possible to update them from the individual account windows.
    i have been avoiding syncing to the cloud but should I do that after each step? Maybe the problem is that I have different account settings in the cloud as vs my desktop?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @ebvanness

I'm not sure that I knew you were "synching to the cloud". Can you tell me what you are doing that would warrant synching to the cloud?  Do you use Quicken Mobile or Web - and if so, are those vital to your use of Quicken? 

If I were to suggest that you revert to an earlier version of the Quicken application (which would not be permanent and may fix the issues you are seeing), would you be amenable to doing that?

Frankx

• Hi Frankx,
    Re: Syncing to the cloud, I thought that was necessary in order to use the quicken app on my phone, to enter transactions on the go, etc. BUT ALSO -- some good news --- I'm not sure what happened but after I responded to a software update request, my accounts seem to be back in order -- I was greatly surprised to see several of those accounts update when I did a one-step update. So I'll continue to be watchful for more problems but at least for now, I think I might be ok!
    Frankx, I truly appreciate all of your help. Thank you!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @ebvanness,

Glad to hear that things are now working properly now.  And just to clarify - yes, synching to the cloud is necessary in order to use the Quicken app on your phone.  I just wanted to understand whether, that was the case.  If you weren't using the app, then I may have recommended that you disable that.

Take care.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.