Fidelity account balances diverging from what the statements say (simple tracking)

Options
wenglish
wenglish Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken Deluxe R47.11 on Windows 10.

Some time last year I switched all my Fidelity accounts (brokerage and IRAs) from detailed tracking to simple tracking, because I just want to track total account balances.

Prior to that change, Quicken and Fidelity were very close to each other for the month-end balances.

Some time after that change, the balances reported by Quicken have diverged from the balances in Fidelity. As of the 12/31/2022 statements Quicken is reporting I am 2.3% richer (over all my Fidelity accounts) than Fidelity reports. This makes accurately answering the "how am I doing" question harder.

I switched all the accounts back to detailed tracking and did a download, but that did not affect the 12/31/2022 balances that I have been looking at. This is probably because simple and detailed tracking download different data and switching back and forth probably won't help with historical transactions.

Can somebody suggest a way to fix this, or a way to fix up the balances (easily)? Even in simple mode, Quicken doesn't have a way to adjust overall balance (just cash or share balances, which would be a lot of work for 8 accounts each with a large number of funds/stocks in them). I don't care whether I used simple or detailed tracking, just so long as I can get reasonably accurate numbers with not much extra effort.

Note that none of these accounts are NetBenefits 401(k) accounts (which I learned today have a known problem with this).

Thank you.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wenglish said:
    Quicken Deluxe R47.11 on Windows 10.

Some time last year I switched all my Fidelity accounts (brokerage and IRAs) from detailed tracking to simple tracking, because I just want to track total account balances.

Prior to that change, Quicken and Fidelity were very close to each other for the month-end balances.

Some time after that change, the balances reported by Quicken have diverged from the balances in Fidelity. As of the 12/31/2022 statements Quicken is reporting I am 2.3% richer (over all my Fidelity accounts) than Fidelity reports. This makes accurately answering the "how am I doing" question harder.

I switched all the accounts back to detailed tracking and did a download, but that did not affect the 12/31/2022 balances that I have been looking at. This is probably because simple and detailed tracking download different data and switching back and forth probably won't help with historical transactions.

Can somebody suggest a way to fix this, or a way to fix up the balances (easily)? Even in simple mode, Quicken doesn't have a way to adjust overall balance (just cash or share balances, which would be a lot of work for 8 accounts each with a large number of funds/stocks in them). I don't care whether I used simple or detailed tracking, just so long as I can get reasonably accurate numbers with not much extra effort.

Note that none of these accounts are NetBenefits 401(k) accounts (which I learned today have a known problem with this).

Thank you.
    Hello @wenglish,    

We are sorry about this issue with online banking services and tracking investments. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 

If you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your Fidelity-associated accounts by navigating to the Add Account button in the Tools menu option in upper left-hand side of the screen, or in the more central, upper left-hand panel, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same discrepancies occurring in the test data file once this is attempted. Be sure to select 'Simple Investing' when setting up your investments, so that we can isolate this issue.

Let us know about your results, if you can.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.