Cash Flow Report

tivoli
tivoli Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Reports (Windows)
I have set my Cash Flow report to exclude transfers. I have started to transfer a fixed amount from a savings account to my checking account each month. How do I get this to show on my cash flow report (as Inflow) without allowing other transfers
Tagged:

Best Answer

• tivoli
    tivoli Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I figured out a work around for this. I created a dummy Income category and just enter a transaction each month in addition to the actual transfer double entry. Shows up in my Cash Flow report as income. Neat!

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think we need to start with the definition of 'cash flow'.    if you move money from savings to checking, there is no 'cash flow', as money is just moving from your right pocket to your left pocket, but what exists in your pockets doesn't change. 

what is your cash flow report really trying to accomplish?   can you please describe? Maybe you are just trying to report 'cash flow' from your checking account only? (in which case 'savings' account should not be part of the report....
  • tivoli
    tivoli Member ✭✭
    Thank for your reply. I am using the standard Quicken Cash Flow report format from the Banking drop down menu. I use it regularly to compare my YTD spending against income. The report includes outflows from my checking and credit card accounts. This year I am starting to withdraw money from a savings account and transferring it to my checking account. I would now like to include the monthly savings account transfer as an Inflow for purposes of the report while excluding other special purpose transfers from savings.

I have researched this further on this forum and determined that I can't do this. I did find however that others use the Bank Summary Report instead which details transfers and that it suits my purpose.
  • tivoli
    tivoli Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I figured out a work around for this. I created a dummy Income category and just enter a transaction each month in addition to the actual transfer double entry. Shows up in my Cash Flow report as income. Neat!
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tivoli, check your cash flow report customization on the Category tab. If you scroll way down passed the categories, you will find a list of account names. Select the savings account from this list. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.