One Step Update recognizes no accounts

Resn8r
Resn8r Member ✭✭
Anyone else suddenly lose all accounts in the One Step Update panel? All my accounts are setup for download, but One Step Update stopped thinking they were there, as well as all the passwords. One Step Update Settings option is now doing the same thing as if I clicked One Step Update, which I find bizarre. Just validated the file. I haven't tried disabling the accounts (again ...) and setting them back up. Be nice if Quicken stopped doing this each year, or every 3 months. I think my banks are starting to wonder why I keep authorizing access, and must think I can't make up my mind about online transactions.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Resn8r said:
    Anyone else suddenly lose all accounts in the One Step Update panel? All my accounts are setup for download, but One Step Update stopped thinking they were there, as well as all the passwords. One Step Update Settings option is now doing the same thing as if I clicked One Step Update, which I find bizarre. Just validated the file. I haven't tried disabling the accounts (again ...) and setting them back up. Be nice if Quicken stopped doing this each year, or every 3 months. I think my banks are starting to wonder why I keep authorizing access, and must think I can't make up my mind about online transactions.
    Hello @Resn8r,   

We are sorry about this problem with online banking services. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

Let us know how this works, if you get the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Resn8r
    Resn8r Member ✭✭
    Jared,
    I had done a full reinstall of everything, including Windows prior to this. For all intents and purposes, this was a "brand new" install of Quicken. I validated the file and created a copy just to clear out random issues from the past (ideally), and then at some point, "boom" the download information for every account was cleared. I have the file location in a cloud storage mirror - so it exists on my local machine, and I've learned to turn of any synchronizing until the Quicken file is closed / no Quicken process is looking at it. Now it's down to just Capital One download issues, which seem to recur more frequently - the Capital One accounts are the only ones I am unable to fix at this time.

... still "stumped"

Miles
  • Quicken Jared
    edited February 2023
    Resn8r said:
    Jared,
    I had done a full reinstall of everything, including Windows prior to this. For all intents and purposes, this was a "brand new" install of Quicken. I validated the file and created a copy just to clear out random issues from the past (ideally), and then at some point, "boom" the download information for every account was cleared. I have the file location in a cloud storage mirror - so it exists on my local machine, and I've learned to turn of any synchronizing until the Quicken file is closed / no Quicken process is looking at it. Now it's down to just Capital One download issues, which seem to recur more frequently - the Capital One accounts are the only ones I am unable to fix at this time.

... still "stumped"

Miles
    Hello @Resn8r,       

We are sorry that this Capital One account is still giving you trouble, and thank you for getting back to me with your results, and more details about the situation.

If you haven't already, and if you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your Capital One-associated accounts by navigating to the Add Account button in the Tools menu option in upper left-hand side of the screen, or in the more central, upper left-hand panel, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same thing occurring in the test data file once this is attempted. Knowing about these results will help us quite a bit in isolating the problem.

I hope to hear back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Resn8r
    Resn8r Member ✭✭
    Jared,

Done, and this time it did grab the accounts. Now, my question is "what exactly is going on with the other file"? I know a whole lot of other people are trying to figure this out, from what I see from time to time in the forums. Is there some method to repair a file where one online service doesn't want to work? Is it an issue between the third party sign-in method that changed and threw Quicken for a loop - i.e Quicken stuck on an old method, or got confused if someone manually downloaded, then did auto update? Kinda seems worth looking into ...

My $0.02
    Miles
  • Quicken Jared
    Resn8r said:
    Jared,

Done, and this time it did grab the accounts. Now, my question is "what exactly is going on with the other file"? I know a whole lot of other people are trying to figure this out, from what I see from time to time in the forums. Is there some method to repair a file where one online service doesn't want to work? Is it an issue between the third party sign-in method that changed and threw Quicken for a loop - i.e Quicken stuck on an old method, or got confused if someone manually downloaded, then did auto update? Kinda seems worth looking into ...

My $0.02
    Miles
    Hello @Resn8r,        

Thanks so much for getting back to me and letting me know about the results from that test file. We do apologize that the issue remains at large in the original data file.

In regards to the source of the issue, it can be difficult to identify what causes a particular data file to exhibit some of these symptoms. One thing we can look into: where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that your current active data file is located on your computer and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service; we discourage users from keeping data files in the latter areas as these locations can cause erratic behavior and even data damage.

Also, I
     see that you have mentioned attempting to validate the original data file, but has a Super Validation also been attempted? First, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then try proceeding through the instructions listed below, if you haven't already:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope that this is helpful, and let us know about your results, if you get the chance to give the Super Validation a try. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Resn8r
    Resn8r Member ✭✭
    Jared,

Jared,

1. Super-validated
    2. Reopened file. Quicken stated all Capital One accounts were setup for download (probably a carry over from a manual update, but all looks correct)
    3. Saw "bank has updated method ...", clicked on that.
    4. Followed instructions to log into my bank account. After entering all information, went back to Quicken.
    5. Quicken started to do something, process hung, had to be closed with Task Manager
    5. Reopened Quicken file again, this time on edit account, it was as if the Capital One accounts had never been setup.
    6. This time, went to enable online access as if it had never been done, logged into bank, and the process finished.
    7. Manually adjusted all the "link to existing accounts" - odd, since the account numbers were still filled out in the Quicken Edit Account boxes).
    8. I think I may have my file back.
    9. During this last download, Quicken informed me that there was another update to the program, fixing a lot more things, and we shall see if that update has anything that breaks Step 1 through 8.

:)
    Thanks,
    Miles
  • Resn8r
    Resn8r Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    [Removed-Off Topic]

This discussion has been closed.