cant' reauthorize amex accounts

bozoman
bozoman Member ✭✭✭
I have tried a few times to do this, and it appears that the process takes too long, or something, and I get an error when I attempt to return to Quicken to complete the process.
I am trying to reauthorize my amex accounts. I have previously reauthorized other banks, so I understand the process.

The browser takes a long time to start, and the Amex login screen is super slow to load, and then I reauthorize my two accounts, after about 5 minutes, and the button for returning to Quicken is visible, and then when I click it I get an XML error message in my Edge browser.

<Errors xmlns="http://schema.intuit.com/platform/common/error/v1">
<error>
<code>AuthenticationFailed</code>
<type>INPUT</type>
</error>
</Errors>

And of course Quicken thinks I need to reauthorize each time I start the download process.

I'm on Windows.
Tagged:

Comments

• MichaelCortese
    MichaelCortese Member ✭✭✭
    I had what I think is the same problem. I fixed it by removing online services, changing the financial institution name to Amex (or anything else) and then seting up online services. It will then ask you to pick the financial institution. Pick American Express and continue.
  • bozoman
    bozoman Member ✭✭✭
    @MichaelCortese Thanks for the help. So, you removed the online services from the accounts, and set them up again, instead of using the reauthorization process. That makes sense. I'll give that a try.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bozoman said:
    The browser takes a long time to start, and the Amex login screen is super slow to load, and then I reauthorize my two accounts, after about 5 minutes, and the button for returning to Quicken is visible, and then when I click it I get an XML error message in my Edge browser.
    If possible, you might want to try using a different browser. Something in Edge might be blocking traffic.
    I had to reauthorize my 2 AmEx cards yesterday, and the whole process took about a minute. Using Firefox as browser.

• bozoman
    bozoman Member ✭✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > If possible, you might want to try using a different browser. Something in Edge might be blocking traffic.I had to reauthorize my 2 AmEx cards yesterday, and the whole process took about a minute. Using Firefox as browser.

Thank you. I am just letting Quicken drive the process, and likely I only have Edge installed on Windows. How do I ensure that Quicken fires up Firefox instead of Edge? I'm fairly computer savvy, but not that experienced with Windows. I'm guessing: install Firefox on Windows, and then make it the default browser, and Quicken will just start the default browser. Sound right?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to try a different browser and need to install it first, the installation process will prompt you about "make this browser the default?"
    If the browser takes a long time to start, be sure to have it started before you initiate the AmEx reauthorization process.
    BTW, how much RAM do you have installed in your computer? What Windows version are you using?
  • bozoman
    bozoman Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you again. Instead of reathorizing, I stopped the online services for my amex accounts, and then restarted them. That avoided the browser issue entirely, and then I can tell that Quicken is using the new method. So I think I'm done with the issue.

Your questions, though, made me look more carefully at my system. I am using a Mac and VMWare Fusion to run Windows 10 and the Windows version of Quicken and TurboTax. I checked the settings I had for my Virtual Machine, and I didn't have a generous enough configuration for my VM. I doubled the cores, and doubled the memory, and things are running much more quickly in general. Thank you again.
This discussion has been closed.