Backing up to Dropbox

TAVC
TAVC Member
After following the instructions for creating a "Quicken Files Backup" folder in Dropbox, when I attempt to backup a complete copy of my Q file to this folder in Dropbox I get an error notice, "Unable to open source file." Then after clicking "OK" I get a notice "Cannot open data file because in use by another application, such as cloud storage backup. Close that app or turn off cloud storage sync and try again." If I then click "OK" I get the notice "Unable to re-load current file after copy."
Yet it appears it has, in fact, created a backup file in that folder.
Can someone share some insight into what's going on here?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? From Quicken --> File --> You should see the path above Exit.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • TAVC
    TAVC Member
    C:\Users\tcass\Dropbox\Quicken Backup Files
  • Greg_the_Geek
    That's the path to the backup folder. What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? From Quicken --> File --> You should see the path above Exit.
  • TAVC
    TAVC Member
    C:\Users\tcass\Dropbox\Quicken Backup Files\Personal-2020-01-18.PM02.10-R-23.21
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You can't keep your current Quicken data file in a cloud folder. I would suggest moving it to C:\Users\tcass\Documents\Quicken. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You keep pointing out a "backup" named file in your Dropbox -
    Now you could be using that as your actual Quicken data file ....
    is that the name up in the far upper left corner of Quicken ?
    You really should see a normal \Quicken\ folder in your \Documents\ folder -
    and your Quicken .QDF data file should be located in that folder... \Documents\Quicken\mydata.QDF

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TAVC
    TAVC Member
    OK, thank you.
    If the current Quicken data file is kept in a Dropbox cloud folder, is backup even necessary or are changes automatically saved in the cloud when I exit Quicken?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TAVC said: If the current Quicken data file is kept in a Dropbox cloud folder...
    Quicken is very fragile with data file handling... and using remote cloud services can cause data file corruption.
    As we have mentioned - you really should keep the Quicken QDF data file in ... \Documents\Quicken\...
    and also the backups \Documents\Quicken\Backup\....
    AND then you can copy the backups to your Dropbox account -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TAVC
    TAVC Member
    Many thanks for all your advice. I need to run to a meeting and will be offline until later tonight or tomorrow to continue any discussion. Thanks again.
  • TAVC
    TAVC Member
    Understood. Thank you for your advice.
This discussion has been closed.