How do I get downloaded transactions to allow me to select that the cash is coming from checking?

Options
madpop
madpop Member
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I am new to using the Investment feature. I have downloaded transactions from T Rowe Price. The action shows as either Bought or BoughtX. There is no offsetting transaction to show where the cash came from to make the purchase. In the Edit Transaction screen, the box for selecting where the cash came from is grayed out. How do I get this to work?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @madpop,

I assume that you are transferring funds from some other existing account, into your T Rowe Price brokerage account, in order to fund these investments prior to effecting the purchase transactions in the TRP account.  The downloaded transactions from T Rowe Price do not include any transactions related to the funding because TRP doesn't care to "know" what you are going to do when you deposit funds into your accounts, or when.  All they track is that you deposited funds and then when you invest those funds, they track those investments.

You need to record the funding transactions in Quicken yourself, or download those transactions from your financial institution (bank) and you record those transactions when you fund the brokerage account, not when you purchase securities using those funds.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• madpop
    madpop Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me. I have accounts at other brokerages that are funded just as you described. I can see track the funds moving into and out of the brokerage cash accounts. I don't see that in the T Rowe Price accounts. There has to be some way to activate that box with the option to select how to fund the accounts; otherwise, why does it even exist?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @madpop

You said "There has to be some way to activate that box with the option to select how to fund the accounts" - I really cannot tell/know which "box with the option..." you are referring to.  Are you in the TRP brokerage account?  If so, have you added an entry in that register to record the transfer from some other account into the TRP account?  If not, that is exactly what you are missing, and you need to make that entry, or entries.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• madpop
    madpop Member
    Options
    I copied the screen that I was referring to. In case there's a problem with the image: When you select edit on a buy transaction in the Transactions list for an investment, a window opens with a box on the lower left. The heading on the box reads: "Use cash for this transaction" with a choice of two radio buttons. The first is "From this account's cash balance". The second reads "From" followed by a drop-down box to select an alternative account. I hope that this is more explicit.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @madpop

I believe that it is likely that this is being caused by having an incorrect setting.  Open the account register and in the upper right corner, click on the little "Gear" icon > then click on "Edit Account Details".  On the left hand side of the pop-up - is the "Show cash in a checking account" option checked "yes"?  If so, Quicken is being told that there is no cash held in the brokerage account.  You need to "uncheck" that box which will then permit cash in the brokerage account.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.