Fonts size for the main Register and Bill & Income Reminders screens.

Hello all.
The font size for my main register in Q screen is fine. I am using the normal font size.
I am having trouble reading the small font in the Bill & Income Reminder screen. If I change Q to use large fonts, the Bill & Income Reminder screen is then fine, but in the main register page, the fonts are too large.
Any thoughts on what I could do to even things up? I'd like to leave the register font alone and increase the font size for the Bill & Income screen.
Thanks for listening.
Bob
Win 10 Enterprise
Q:
Ver: R47.11
Build: 27.1.47.11
Thanks for listening ...
Bob
Win10 Home
Quicken 2020 Subscription

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The controls for everything except the banking account register font, font style and font size are taken from Windows Control Panel / Display settings.
    And here it depends on your screen resolution setting and the "make text smaller/larger on screen" setting. This value should not exceed 125%

Font size problems? Display issues? (Windows)

If you are using a version of Quicken at the Quicken 2019 US R 19.44 patch level or newer and you have previously made the following Compatibility change, please undo the change.
    Users of other Quicken versions please try the following:

• Close Quicken !!! (This process won't work while Quicken is running!)
    • Check the Compatibility tab settings in your Quicken Desktop program icon:
    • In the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken icon. Select "Open File Location". This brings up a Windows File Explorer window. Right-click the highlighted Quicken shortcut line item.
      or
    • Go to the traditional Windows Desktop and right-click the Quicken program icon.
      or
    • Use Windows File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\ and right-click qw.exe
    • Now click Properties.
    • Select the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck all settings.
    • Windows 7, 8.1: Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 
      Windows 10, 11: Click "Change high DPI settings".  Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application"  (also try the other available options repeating the entire procedure!). Click OK.
    • Be sure to uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for [older Windows version]" setting.
    • Click the "Change settings for all users" button.
    • Click Apply and exit.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Now start Quicken and see if that makes a difference.

Some additional tuning suggestions:

• Try this workaround for 4k monitors
      https://www.quicken.com/support/work-around-display-issues-high-resolution-monitors
    • System requirements: 1024x768 or higher screen resolution, 1280x1024 minimum for Large Fonts settings
    • Unless absolutely required, try not to use "View / Use large fonts"
    • Try setting the bank account registers to use a different font style or size: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, click the Fonts button and try different fonts.
    • Try adjusting the bank account registers' row height: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, choose among the available Row Height choices: Compact, Comfortable or Standard
    • If all else fails, try changing Windows Control Panel / Display options for "Make text and other items … smaller or larger" to use a different scaling level, but try not to exceed 125%
    • Try using the Windows Magnifier. Press the Windows logo key and the = key to open Magnifier. Customize Magnifier to increment Zoom in 25% intervals.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Given your setting preferences, I would suggest adjusting the register font setting to a smaller font. This setting is under preferences.

• Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    OK, Thanks. I'll play with that. I just wish the same font size would work across the board for Q or have separate controls.
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The controls for everything except the banking account register font, font style and font size are taken from Windows Control Panel / Display settings.
    And here it depends on your screen resolution setting and the "make text smaller/larger on screen" setting. This value should not exceed 125%

Font size problems? Display issues? (Windows)

If you are using a version of Quicken at the Quicken 2019 US R 19.44 patch level or newer and you have previously made the following Compatibility change, please undo the change.
    Users of other Quicken versions please try the following:

• Close Quicken !!! (This process won't work while Quicken is running!)
    • Check the Compatibility tab settings in your Quicken Desktop program icon:
    • In the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken icon. Select "Open File Location". This brings up a Windows File Explorer window. Right-click the highlighted Quicken shortcut line item.
      or
    • Go to the traditional Windows Desktop and right-click the Quicken program icon.
      or
    • Use Windows File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\ and right-click qw.exe
    • Now click Properties.
    • Select the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck all settings.
    • Windows 7, 8.1: Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 
      Windows 10, 11: Click "Change high DPI settings".  Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application"  (also try the other available options repeating the entire procedure!). Click OK.
    • Be sure to uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for [older Windows version]" setting.
    • Click the "Change settings for all users" button.
    • Click Apply and exit.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Now start Quicken and see if that makes a difference.

Some additional tuning suggestions:

• Try this workaround for 4k monitors
      https://www.quicken.com/support/work-around-display-issues-high-resolution-monitors
    • System requirements: 1024x768 or higher screen resolution, 1280x1024 minimum for Large Fonts settings
    • Unless absolutely required, try not to use "View / Use large fonts"
    • Try setting the bank account registers to use a different font style or size: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, click the Fonts button and try different fonts.
    • Try adjusting the bank account registers' row height: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, choose among the available Row Height choices: Compact, Comfortable or Standard
    • If all else fails, try changing Windows Control Panel / Display options for "Make text and other items … smaller or larger" to use a different scaling level, but try not to exceed 125%
    • Try using the Windows Magnifier. Press the Windows logo key and the = key to open Magnifier. Customize Magnifier to increment Zoom in 25% intervals.
  • Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Thanks.
    I just wish Q would control all it's screens with preferences.
    As for windows controlling it, what works for Q might be too large for some other applications.
    It is what it is.
    Thanks
    Bob
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
  • KVacek
    KVacek Member ✭✭
    This, like so many other Quicken behaviors, is completely unacceptable. There's a choice - use this, now made more painful by the subscription model. or do without. Quicken 2016 was apparently the zenith of this product, but they killed its functionality to seel us this. I'd gladly go back it that were possible
  • KVacek
    KVacek Member ✭✭
    This, like so many other Quicken behaviors, is completely unacceptable. There's a choice - use this, now made more painful by the subscription model. or do without. Quicken 2016 was apparently the zenith of this product, but they killed its functionality to sell us this. I'd gladly go back it that were possible
  • Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    I agree. I think I used Q2016 before going subscription. Worked pretty well for me.
    How difficult is it to set up a few more preferences?
    I see enough people complaining about this. Some even quitting Q.
    Just don't understand Q's thinking.
    Bob
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
This discussion has been closed.