Incorrect fund identification in quicken

rginnca
rginnca Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I recently made some sales and purchases in my brokerage account. When i update the account I get an error from Quicken for one purchase and it seems that Quicken is somehow mis-interperting the data its getting from Etrade. Quicken says i have a difference in the number of shares (i.e. Quicken thinks Etrade is reporting XXXX shares of VWO and my holdings show the same number of shares for VEA). When i look at Etrade it matches what i input into Quicken (VEA - which is correct). How do i fix this?

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    rginnca said:
    Ok, did that. Interestingly only the wrong EFT had the “matched with online security” box checked. The correct one (VEA) won’t even allow me to check the box. Reconcile says they all match now. Thanks
    The box only gets checked by the program when it makes an association.  In doing so, it will also (usually?) establish the CUSIP for the security based on what the brokerage tells the program through the download. 

Now that reconcile is reporting the correct matches, is the box for VEA checked?   

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    rginnca said:
    I recently made some sales and purchases in my brokerage account. When i update the account I get an error from Quicken for one purchase and it seems that Quicken is somehow mis-interperting the data its getting from Etrade. Quicken says i have a difference in the number of shares (i.e. Quicken thinks Etrade is reporting XXXX shares of VWO and my holdings show the same number of shares for VEA). When i look at Etrade it matches what i input into Quicken (VEA - which is correct). How do i fix this?
    Hello @rginnca,   

We are sorry about this problem with online banking services and inaccurate share information. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

hat connection method are you currently making use of in order to add or link your accounts to online banking services?  Also, what connection method are you currently making use of in order to add or link your accounts to online banking services? Please note that you can verify this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box. 

I look forward to your answers.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • rginnca
    rginnca Member ✭✭
    Direct Connect
  • rginnca
    rginnca Member ✭✭
    And it has worked for years. Its just this one ETF that seems to be continuously misidentified
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Backup you file first!  Just in case.

Do you have both VWO and VEA in your Quicken Security List (Ctrl-Y)?  Make sure they have suitable security names for the right tickers.  Names do not have to identically match the names E-Trade is using.  If VEA is missing in the security list, create it.  Make sure neither one is hidden, just to make it easier for you.  Not important, but do you own both securities in various accounts?  

Edit the Security Details for each.  Uncheck the box "Matched with online security".

Go to the problematic account.  Click the gear icon, Actions.  Select Reconcile Shares.  You should be given the opportunity to match the brokers VEA to your Quicken VEA.  

If necessary, go to an account currently holding VWO and do the same Reconcile Shares.

• rginnca
    rginnca Member ✭✭
    Ok, did that. Interestingly only the wrong EFT had the “matched with online security” box checked. The correct one (VEA) won’t even allow me to check the box. Reconcile says they all match now. Thanks
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    rginnca said:
    The box only gets checked by the program when it makes an association.  In doing so, it will also (usually?) establish the CUSIP for the security based on what the brokerage tells the program through the download. 

Now that reconcile is reporting the correct matches, is the box for VEA checked?   
  • rginnca
    rginnca Member ✭✭
    Yep. :)
This discussion has been closed.