Categories for both sides of detected transfers are being recorded back into the same account.

Options
ricke
ricke Member ✭✭
For several months now after downloads, Quicken is recording the category for transfers incorrectly.

Quicken has been showing the transfer CATAGORY for both the FROM, and the TO, accounts as being back into the same account I am viewing.

As in ... if the “FROM” side of the transfer is “Account A”, Quicken is recording the CATEGORY in “Account A” as being “Account A”, while viewing “Account A”.

And, if the “TO” side of the transfer is “Account B”, Quicken is recording the CATEGORY in “Account B” as being “Account B”, while viewing “Account B”.

This is new behavior for the last several months and it necessitates me having to go in and re-categorize all “automatically” recognized transfers to show the opposing account for the transfer.

Quicken pops up the window showing its detection of the transfers and asks if the transactions are indeed transfers. That part is still correct, but by the time I get to the registers to verify the transfers, they have been recorded incorrectly.

This happens for transfers both within the same financial institution, as well as across different financial institutions.

I have double checked my settings for Quicken to automatically recognize transfers, they have not changed.

The recognition of transfers had always worked properly, but now is exhibiting this problematic behavior.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ricke said:
    For several months now after downloads, Quicken is recording the category for transfers incorrectly.

Quicken has been showing the transfer CATAGORY for both the FROM, and the TO, accounts as being back into the same account I am viewing.

As in ... if the “FROM” side of the transfer is “Account A”, Quicken is recording the CATEGORY in “Account A” as being “Account A”, while viewing “Account A”.

And, if the “TO” side of the transfer is “Account B”, Quicken is recording the CATEGORY in “Account B” as being “Account B”, while viewing “Account B”.

This is new behavior for the last several months and it necessitates me having to go in and re-categorize all “automatically” recognized transfers to show the opposing account for the transfer.

Quicken pops up the window showing its detection of the transfers and asks if the transactions are indeed transfers. That part is still correct, but by the time I get to the registers to verify the transfers, they have been recorded incorrectly.

This happens for transfers both within the same financial institution, as well as across different financial institutions.

I have double checked my settings for Quicken to automatically recognize transfers, they have not changed.

The recognition of transfers had always worked properly, but now is exhibiting this problematic behavior.
    Hello @ricke,    

We are sorry about this problem with changing and inaccurate transaction information. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for assistance. 

Is this occurring across multiple accounts? Also, when you navigate to Tools > Category List, do Categories you previously used - and expect in place of these new designations - appear to be missing? Lastly, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that your current active data file is located on your computer and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic behavior and even data damage.

I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Programmers appear to have changed the way transfer transactions are detected and handled ... in order to improve the process ...
    IMHO, for best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.
    Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the download process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.
This discussion has been closed.