How to end a Quicken session?

I am a new user -- and I fear that I lost an afternoon's worth of work because I saved an earlier set of data over a newer one. Also, I do not understand the questions about synching to the cloud. And what is a backup file?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You end a session by clicking the upper right X, or the menu File / Exit.  Quicken writes each transactions or edit as you enter it into your file, so there is no explicit FIle Save type of action like some programs use. 

A backup file is a second copy of the file made by user request (File menu or Ctrl-B) that creates a copy as of that point in time.  Many users create a backup when they exit the program.  That creates a 'return to' point they can come back to after they have made other changes later on.  Some users opt to include a date/time stamp in the file name for the backup files.  Quicken will also automatically create backups on a user defined schedule.  Those automatic backups will have a date/time identifier in the file name.

The only probable way you would have "saved an earlier set of data over a newer one" would have been to RESTORE a backup and in that process overwrite the existing file.  Quicken provides a warning that you are about to do that. 

There are a couple of levels of 'synching to the cloud'.  The first level is that you have an 'account' with Quicken, Inc. and when you start the program (open a file), the program communicates to Quicken, Inc to validate that you are a legitimate user and properly logged in.  The bigger level of synching is when you share your financial information such that you can then access that data via a mobile device.  Quicken then has a level of your financial data stored on their servers.  You have no choice on that first level.  I (and many others) stay well away from that second level.  That avoidance starts with Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web / Sync OFF.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You end a session by clicking the upper right X, or the menu File / Exit.  Quicken writes each transactions or edit as you enter it into your file, so there is no explicit FIle Save type of action like some programs use. 

A backup file is a second copy of the file made by user request (File menu or Ctrl-B) that creates a copy as of that point in time.  Many users create a backup when they exit the program.  That creates a 'return to' point they can come back to after they have made other changes later on.  Some users opt to include a date/time stamp in the file name for the backup files.  Quicken will also automatically create backups on a user defined schedule.  Those automatic backups will have a date/time identifier in the file name.

The only probable way you would have "saved an earlier set of data over a newer one" would have been to RESTORE a backup and in that process overwrite the existing file.  Quicken provides a warning that you are about to do that. 

There are a couple of levels of 'synching to the cloud'.  The first level is that you have an 'account' with Quicken, Inc. and when you start the program (open a file), the program communicates to Quicken, Inc to validate that you are a legitimate user and properly logged in.  The bigger level of synching is when you share your financial information such that you can then access that data via a mobile device.  Quicken then has a level of your financial data stored on their servers.  You have no choice on that first level.  I (and many others) stay well away from that second level.  That avoidance starts with Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web / Sync OFF.

• connums
    connums Member
    Thank you. this was immensely helpful. And clear.And quick. I spent more time with Quicken last night and believe the "lost" data was likely my mis-recalling what I'd done. It's a great program. so glad to hve finally gotten on to it! :)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you new to Quicken for Windows?

Welcome.
    Please read this for more information, some videos and a list of resources to help familiarize yourself with Quicken:
    https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-windows

Quicken Help! (Quicken for Windows)

If you're unsure on how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task, function, feature or report in Quicken Help.
    To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).
     Once Help has started, use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy security".
    Some Quicken view screens may have a blue (or yellow) button with a question mark. Click it to get view - specific help.
    A browser-based version is available here: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Quicken+Windows+Help

------------------------

I recommend you review your backup settings in Quicken to ensure that you create a backup every single time you close Quicken. That minimizes the number of lost changes since the last backup, should you have to restore your data file again.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken
    It is further assumed that your Quicken data file is named QDATA.QDF

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2020-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS to prove it! ;-)

This discussion has been closed.