Incorrect Bond Shares

aerotech
aerotech Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Mac)
My Quicken for Mac incorrectly lists the number of shares purchased when I purchased some US Treasure Bills a few months ago. It says I purchased 100,000 shares when I actually purchased 1000. This same error was duplicated in two of my Fidelity accounts. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Best Answers

• Richard Bowdel
    Richard Bowdel Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Same problem with Fidelity. And when bonds mature, correct quantity is posted leaving a ghost purchase entry. This has been ongoing for several years. I have just made the adjustments instead of reporting. And it is only for T-Bills.
  • mapleosb
    mapleosb Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I run into this problem using Quicken Mac (not in the Win version though). As an example, If you purchase 100 bonds at $1000 for a total of $100,000, that is exactly how it is downloaded in Fidelity. THEN, when you sell the same issue (CD or Treasuries), it gets downloaded from Fidelity as 100,000 bonds at $1, or maybe 10,000 bonds at $10. Makes for some interesting balances and then Quicken wants to make share adjustments. I have always beeen able to adjust the sale shares back to what the purchase looked like and it seems to work out well. Hope that helps.

Answers

• Richard Bowdel
    Answer ✓
    Same problem with Fidelity. And when bonds mature, correct quantity is posted leaving a ghost purchase entry. This has been ongoing for several years. I have just made the adjustments instead of reporting. And it is only for T-Bills.
  • aerotech
    aerotech Member ✭✭
    Thank you Richard! How do you make the adjustments? I tried to, but was unsuccessful.
  • Richard Bowdel
    I just changed the number of shares sold when it downloaded. While held, shares shows wrong quantity but $ amount is correct. I seem to remember that you can't change the downloaded buy quantity, but I might be wrong.
  • aerotech
    aerotech Member ✭✭
    Thank you!
  • thanks I am dealing with that same issue
  • Photo_engineer
    Photo_engineer Member ✭✭
    When I enter correct bond purchase info, the number of shares comes up as 10x the correct amount and the price is 1/10 the correct amount. Editing the entry does not fix this issue.
  • rcelio
    rcelio Member ✭✭
    Just purchased a Schwab CD and a municipal bond in my Merrill account. I can't change the number of shares. I can change the value but that doesn't make sense if the value changes daily. They are definitely handling the CD and bond stuff incorrectly. It does make my value for those investments 100Xs higher. Wish it were true. Hope enough folks are raising the issue to get some attention...
  • AlyssaMcF
    AlyssaMcF Member ✭✭
    Yeah I have the same problem with some bonds I'm downloading from Etrade.
  • mapleosb
    mapleosb Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I run into this problem using Quicken Mac (not in the Win version though). As an example, If you purchase 100 bonds at $1000 for a total of $100,000, that is exactly how it is downloaded in Fidelity. THEN, when you sell the same issue (CD or Treasuries), it gets downloaded from Fidelity as 100,000 bonds at $1, or maybe 10,000 bonds at $10. Makes for some interesting balances and then Quicken wants to make share adjustments. I have always beeen able to adjust the sale shares back to what the purchase looked like and it seems to work out well. Hope that helps.
  • aerotech
    aerotech Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Yes, thanks mapleosb, I now do the same thing, manually correcting the info on the sale transaction to be compatible with the buy info. Apparently Quicken has had this issue for some time. Too bad it hasn’t been corrected. Interesting that the Quicken for win does not have this issue.
This discussion has been closed.