Quick Pay for Discover Card fails for the last 2 months

rskurnick
rskurnick Member ✭✭
Is it just me or has anyone else have issues with Quick Pay failing for their Discover Card. The error message is pretty useless as it is listed as "Unspecified Failure". I really hate this new way of processing my payments. Some of the institutions say the support Quick Pay and then say they need to finish the configuration and never finish. Others don't support it and finally Discover just says it works and then fails.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If your bank recently required you to reauthorize your checking account and/or your bank has changed from "Direct Connect" to either "Express Web Connect" or "Express Web Connect+" you can no longer use Online Bill Pay direct to the bank or Quicken Bill Manager's Quick Pay function. The bank no longer supports this function through Quicken.

You have these alternatives (in no particular order of preference):

1. Use Quicken Bill Manager's Check Pay making sure to submit payment early enough (at least 3 weeks before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing.
    2. Logon to the bank's website and schedule your bill pay payments to be executed by the bank. In parallel to that, in Quicken use a regular Scheduled Reminder to record your payment. Repeat every time another payment is due.
    3. Bypass Bill Manager. Logon to the biller's website once and set up their Autopay, APS, Direct debit, etc. service to make the current payment and all future payments on Due Date directly from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken use a regular Scheduled Reminder to record your payments before they come due.
    4. Write (or print with Quicken) a paper check and mail it to the biller, making sure to mail payment early enough (at least 10 days before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing.

I've been using a variation of method #3 for decades, since before the Internet and dial-up were even introduced. It's easy to get used to this process. And I have yet to miss a single payment.

• rskurnick
    rskurnick Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. It was only months ago that I could no longer pay bills through Quicken through the bank and was forced to go the "Quick Pay" method. I had to redo Discover along with other cards to use "Quick Pay" (the ones that supported it) and most are still working with Quick Pay but Discover has failed the last 2 months. I'm definitely not interested in Check Pay. I'm already forced to use the Bank's website for many of the bills. While I understand you are trying to put a positive spin on this, going from taking 15 minutes to pay the bills to now 1 hour due to all the convoluted setup and flakiness of the processes is a step back. While the banks may be happy that users are forced to use them (mostly) their bill paying/tracking process is the pits!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

While the banks may be happy that users are forced to use them (mostly) their bill paying/tracking process is the pits!

Don't forget to complain to the banks.
    Setting up automatic recurring debits at the billers' websites is a short one-time process.
    Once that's done, entering a scheduled reminder transaction in Quicken every month when you receive the next bill or statement is a matter of seconds.

This discussion has been closed.