Transaction issue. Global change?

Options
hbravo
hbravo Member ✭✭
Good Morning - After my last update it seems that all of my transactions, past, present and future (already manually entered in register), in the category "Food & Dining: Groceries" have shifted to the category "Food & Dining: Restaurants and Bars" or are just listed as 'uncategorized'. As you might imaging this represents a lot of transactions going back many years. I'd rather not have to correct all of these transactions one at a time. Is there a global way to isolate;ate and change all of these transactions back to the proper category? Thanks.

Best Answer

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Glad that helped :-)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    Options

Yes, although still tricky - since you don't want to change all transactions that are “Restaurants and Bars” back to Groceries… you'll have to have an idea of which Payees were for groceries.

Batch change tip thanks to @jacobs who helped me out with this issue recently…

1. Click on Banking in the left list of accounts to get a register view of all transactions from all bank and credit card accounts.
    2. Click the small ‘v’ next to the search magnifying glass at the top right of the screen and select Category to limit the search. Then type in Restaurants and Bars and verify that only transactions with that category are now in the list.
    3. Sort the list by Payee…. click the Payee heading.
    4. When you find a group of transactions for a payee that should be categorized as Groceries, click the first one, then shift click the last one to select them all… and finally either press cmd-I or menu File > Get Info (belongs in the Transactions menu, but that's another story).
    5. Type Groceries in the Category field, replacing Restaurants… the checkbox in front will automatically be checked. Press OK and those transactions will be recategorized and disappear from your filtered list.
    6. Repeat until done.

As @jacobs and others have noted, a severe shortcoming of this batch change feature is that it will not change splits in split transactions. So, if you had a grocery store purchase that was split between Groceries and Pharmacy/Drugs, Household or whatever… it will not find or change those.

• hbravo
    hbravo Member ✭✭
    Options
    That worked like a dream. My major grocery shopping is limited to three main stores so it was easy to scroll through the list and make the batch changes as required. Interestingly, I went into my bills for a look and the change for my main grocery store from groceries to bars and restaurants occured there, also. All this technology is great until it isn't. Fortunately there are people like you to help people like me out of our jams. Thank you!
  • MontanaKarl
    Answer ✓
    Options

Glad that helped :-)

This discussion has been closed.