How to migrate Win7 Quicken 2010 HB to a new Win10 computer (edit)

enqui
enqui Member ✭✭
I am trying to help someone migrate from an older Windows 7 computer with Quicken 2010 Home and Business, to a newer Windows 10 computer. However, they don't know where the Quicken 2010 installation media is anymore. Is it possible to copy the existing program files from the working installation on the old computer onto the new computer?

Alternatively, I could downgrade by installing Quicken 2006 Home and Business on the new computer, but how could the data from Quicken 2010 be imported or converted to the older 2006 format?

Best Answer

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

No, Quicken needs to be installed from installation media since there's more than just the Quicken folder in Program Files. There's a program called Zinstall that supposedly will copy a program from one Windows installation to another. Other posters have asked about it but I don't know if anyone has actually used it.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm afraid you cannot downlevel a Quicken data file in 2010 format to any older version's data format. It's just not compatible.

If you can't find the original 2010 installation CD or a saved downloaded installation file (have you looked in the Downloads folder?) your only way forward will be to purchase the current Quicken Home, Business and Rental Management version, either directly from quicken.com or from a reputable Internet retailer.

• enqui
    enqui Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the input. I thought it could be possible to export the 2010 data in QIF format and try to import it in Quicken 2006, but that sounds like quite a hassle. I was hoping there might be another, better way.

As for upgrading, the subscription model is a non-starter. I haven't found the 2013 Home and Business version for sale anywhere. I noticed 2013 Deluxe version is available on Quicken's website which is nice, but is there a detailed list of the features missing compared to the Home and Business version? For example, can 2013 Deluxe do invoices?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

TANSTAAFL

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• enqui
    enqui Member ✭✭
    I guess that's a "helpful" way of saying "no"...

Back to the original question, can the original installation of Quicken 2010 be copied onto a new computer?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

No, Quicken needs to be installed from installation media since there's more than just the Quicken folder in Program Files. There's a program called Zinstall that supposedly will copy a program from one Windows installation to another. Other posters have asked about it but I don't know if anyone has actually used it.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess we all have different value equations…. for tracking personal finances or small business finances.

I happen to value Quicken for downloading and tracking ALL my finances…. at a yearly investment of $60 - ($5/mo)

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• enqui
    enqui Member ✭✭

Thank you, that tip helped solve this issue!

I didn't even know about such programs for migrating programs, data, and even Windows user accounts to new computers. There is Zinstall, PCmover (apparently recommended by Intel and Microsoft), and PCTrans.

PCTrans even has a free/trial version which can transfer 5 programs before requiring a purchase. I gave it a try and it succeeded in migrated Quicken 2010 H&B to the new computer! Quicken 2010 shows up in Windows 10 Apps & features list (even showing the original 2010 installation date from the old computer), as well as in the Start menu. It seems to run fine, opened the QDF data file, made a backup, etc and didn't run into any issues so far.

What a relief!

This discussion has been closed.