Quicken will not start during a Quicken Up-date activity

Doug Dubowski
Doug Dubowski Member ✭✭
If I try to start quicken in the middle of it doing a download via Quicken Update, I get a message indicating to try to start quicken later. If I do that, I get the same message and I can never get Quicken to start. The only way to get around this hang-up is to shut the computer down (a restart doesn't clear it). Not sure why Quicken hangs up like this. It is a long outstanding problem I have had over several versions of the product.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you considered changing your Scheduled Update time to a different time of day (or night), outside of your usual active time? Unless the Background Agent task gets hung up during its Scheduled Update that should eliminate conflicts.

Or, instead of using the Scheduled Update, start Quicken as usual in the morning and run a One Step Update yourself, at a convenient time. It's only a click or two and should take no longer than a couple of minutes to complete.

Personally, I always run OSU in the late afternoon, after the stock markets have closed, to get today's closing stock quotes. Usually takes 2-3 minutes.

BTW, if Scheduled Update runs much longer than usual or appears to be hung up: You can kill the Background Agent task using Windows Task Manager. That should allow you to start Quicken without having to resort to powering down or rebooting Windows. However, in that case you will have to figure out what's causing the problem in Scheduled Update …

• Doug Dubowski
    Doug Dubowski Member ✭✭
    I could do that, but Quicken should be able to start if there is a scheduled update on the go. It should not hang up. I can update quicken from within the program without any issue, but the scheduled update is a different issue. Seems to be a bug.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it can't. Only one task can have exclusive update access to your Quicken data file at any point in time.

What time is Scheduled Update supposed to be running? What time do you normally start Quicken to begin working with it?

If you can, try to figure out what's hanging up Scheduled Update and correct the problem.

• Doug Dubowski
    Doug Dubowski Member ✭✭
    Tried stopping the background agent through the task bar. After doing so, Quicken will not start. Have no idea why the scheduled update process will start but will not stop. I have it set to run at 7 am, long before I access Quicken in the morning. It should not run for this long. I understand the exclusive access conundrum, but I would have thought through some clever programming, they could get around this limitation.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The “clever programming” would be to rewrite Quicken with a new database structure that is capable of supporting multiple users at the same time … your word in the programmers' ears …

I recommend you turn off Scheduled Update.
    Reboot if neccesary.
    Start Quicken and run a regular One Step Update. Try to figure out during what phase of OSU it's hanging up. Which bank download is hanging? Or is it Sync to Cloud?

• Doug Dubowski
    Doug Dubowski Member ✭✭
    No sync to cloud, One Step Update never hangs up when I run it within Quicken. Not convinced a new database structure is required, but no point in discussing that any further - nothing will come of it.
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭

I also recommend not using Scheduled Update. It can cause other problems. It is more trouble than it is worth. Manully run OSU once a day instead.

This discussion has been closed.