Cannot enter JPMorgan C Preferred shares

Options
schick79
schick79 Member ✭✭
edited April 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I bought some JPMorgan C Preferred shares today and am trying to enter them into Quicken. It recognizes the shares when I enter the symbol as JPM-C, but for some reason it won't finalize the entry. When I enter JPM-C as the Ticker, it brings up a matching list of symbols, and JPM-C is at the top of the list. I select it and click the Next button. It then displays the security info showing the name, symbol, Stock as the security type and Other as the asset class. I click the Done button and go back and enter the shares and price. When I try to click the Enter/Done button, it takes me back to the screen where it says to "Enter symbol or anem for this new security" and the process starts all over again. I also bought some Schwab D Preferred shares today and those worked just fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have the JPMorgan common shares in your security list? If so, rename it -perhaps append "com" or similar. I think you will then be able to create the preferred class of shares. If so, rename that security also - append Pr-C or similar.

I suspect what is happening is that Quicken is attempting to create the preferred security with the same name that the common security has. The program won't do that but never bothers to tell you what the issue is.

HTH

• schick79
    schick79 Member ✭✭
    Options
    [{"type":"p","children":[{"text":"I will give that a try. However, my follow-up question is will Quicken download and track the preferred share prices the same way it does the common shares? That is what I was really hoping for. Thanks for your response!"}]}]
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have the right ticker which appears to be the JPM-C, Quicken should track those prices the same way it tracks the common shares.

• schick79
    schick79 Member ✭✭
    Options
    That worked, thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.