Any way to import generic business categories for Schedule C?

I just added Quicken Business and wanted to set up some business categores. Is there a way to import some standard set of categories that I can start with? I was thinking they could just match Schedule C. Trying to save some time before I start clicking away.

Thanks.

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Quicken has a lot of categories. Or you can make your own. Make sure to assign them to a schedule C line item number so they show up as business categories. I don't know what categories you would need but my husband is a Land Surveyor.  Here's how I set mine up (I also put the Schedule C line number in as part of the name)...

Survey Income
    Survey Expenses
     ……..11 Labor
     ……..18 Office Expense
     ……..20 Equip Rent
     ……..22 Supplies
     ……..24a Travel
     ……..27 Other - Printing
     ……..27 Other - Small Tools

I made the expenses sub-categories of the main Survey Expense category.

Also I use Tags  for each job.  Then when I run a report I can sort it by job.  So an expense entry might look like this…
    Survey Expenses:22 Supplies/Maple Street

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I'm probably a little too late and you just finished manually adding a bunch of business categories, but take a look at this anyway:

Go into Tools Menu / Category List.
    Click the Options button at the bottom of the view, select Manage Categories
    In the Manage Categories view set "Available categories: to "Business"

Select or block-select individual categories or "Mark all" on the left side, then click "Add" to make these selected categories appear in the table on the right. When done marking categories click OK.
    The new categories now appear in your Category List.
    (Be sure the Category List is set to "Show Full List", [x]-mark "Show hidden categories" and "All Categories". The List should also be sorted by category name)

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Quicken has a lot of categories. Or you can make your own. Make sure to assign them to a schedule C line item number so they show up as business categories. I don't know what categories you would need but my husband is a Land Surveyor.  Here's how I set mine up (I also put the Schedule C line number in as part of the name)...

Survey Income
    Survey Expenses
     ……..11 Labor
     ……..18 Office Expense
     ……..20 Equip Rent
     ……..22 Supplies
     ……..24a Travel
     ……..27 Other - Printing
     ……..27 Other - Small Tools

I made the expenses sub-categories of the main Survey Expense category.

Also I use Tags  for each job.  Then when I run a report I can sort it by job.  So an expense entry might look like this…
    Survey Expenses:22 Supplies/Maple Street

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I'm probably a little too late and you just finished manually adding a bunch of business categories, but take a look at this anyway:

Go into Tools Menu / Category List.
    Click the Options button at the bottom of the view, select Manage Categories
    In the Manage Categories view set "Available categories: to "Business"

Select or block-select individual categories or "Mark all" on the left side, then click "Add" to make these selected categories appear in the table on the right. When done marking categories click OK.
    The new categories now appear in your Category List.
    (Be sure the Category List is set to "Show Full List", [x]-mark "Show hidden categories" and "All Categories". The List should also be sorted by category name)

• pslaga
    pslaga Member

Thanks volvogirl and UKR, the information is very helpful. I am going to use the Schedule C line number in the name and start my category listing with the Manage Categories. I feel like I just jumped light years ahead of where I was! Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.