Quicken 2017 issues after re-installing

Options
Kimberley
Kimberley Member

I had to re-load windows 10 onto my laptop and tried to re-install my Quicken 2017 software from my cd. However, when I tried to launch the software and import my back-up file, I got the white screen that others have reported in other discussion threads. I read about the INI file that has worked successfully for others. So I retrieved my INI file from an old hard drive back-up (which has a date of 2013 for some reason); and I tried to replace the INI file and relaunch the software. I was still unsuccessful in getting past the white screen.

I tried several different ways, like trying to launch without internet access; but then it tells me to check my internet connection. Everytime I try to open up the file, it seems like the INI file gets replaced with a new file with time/date stamp updated to when I last attempted to open Quicken.

Also, I noticed that my config file is in a quicken directory; not an intuit/quicken directory. I'm not sure if this means that I'm stuck and somehow my login info has migrated from the old servers…?

I've tried unstalling and re-installing more than once to try to get a clean/fresh start, but it still seems to loop and update my INI file every time.

Am I doing something in the wrong order? Does anyone out there have any insight on this? I'm at a loss and am almost ready to give up…please help!

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you sure you're installing Quicken 2017 and not Quicken Subscription? The QUICKEN.INI file is in the C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config folder on Quicken 2017 and earlier and not C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Member
    Options

Yes, I am installing from the software cd that I purchased (2017 version).

I retrieved the INI file from an old hard drive; but it was located in the Windows folder (not programdata). It had a date stamp of 6/26/2013, so I assume this is the old INI file from when my file actually worked.

Did I miss a step or do something out of order?

I'm wondering if my Intuit login info got wiped out somehow…it loops me back and I get the blank screen over and over again. It asks me to log in; and then cannot identify my email adress. It asks if I would like to purchase a subscription.

So frustrating…I went through this re-install of Quicken about 9 months ago and did not have any issues whatsoever. I can't understand why it would be different this time around…???

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

As a test, I installed Quicken 2017 and there is a QUICKEN.INI file in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config. The one in C:\Windows is not the one that needs to be copied. Also, you need to download/install the R20.5 Mondo patch to change from an Intuit ID to a Quicken ID. Quicken has changed their security so that new installations of pre-subscription Quicken can't validate. That why you need the correct QUICKEN.INI file.

• Kimberley
    Kimberley Member
    Options

Thank you…I will try and see if I can locate that file on my old hard drive; then also install the patch.

• Kimberley
    Kimberley Member
    Options

If I cannot get my hands on the correct QUICKEN.INI file, does this mean that my only option will be to go the subscription route if I want to access my data and continue with Quicken?

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

That would be the only solution

• Kimberley
    Kimberley Member
    Options

Does anyone know what the difference is between the old and new QUICKEN.INI file? It looks like it is just text in the file. I'm wondering if it is something that I can just modify on the version that I have (that doesn't seem to be working)?

This discussion has been closed.