Where do I find quicken automatic backups?

Dori
Dori Member ✭✭
Unfortunately, I have lost ALL of my Quicken data (on a flash drive). I thought my files were being saved with OneDrive, but I cannot find anything. Where do Quicken's automatic backups go? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Dori
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

By default, automatic backups are in the BACKUP folder that's in the same folder with your Quicken data file. You can check by going to Edit—> Preference —> Backup —> Automatic backups Open/Change backup directory.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓

You can search for files the have an extension of .QDF or .QDF-backup. How did you loose your data?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Dori - so just to confirm or clarify - were you using Quicken with all the active files being stored on your flash drive ?
    If you open Quicken, —> File —> look at the very bottom of the menu and it should show the location URL of the last 4 Quicken files you used …. where does it show them .. what drive letter & location path ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓

By default, automatic backups are in the BACKUP folder that's in the same folder with your Quicken data file. You can check by going to Edit—> Preference —> Backup —> Automatic backups Open/Change backup directory.

• Dori
    Dori Member ✭✭
    thanks, Greg_the_Geek, for the quick response and the info. Sadly :( those backups are gone with my other data. So, so sad.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓

You can search for files the have an extension of .QDF or .QDF-backup. How did you loose your data?

• Dori
    Dori Member ✭✭
    My micro drive was out of my pc (I was helping my husband look up on his drive from his dead pc and mine got knocked on the floor and into the vacuum or one of the dogs. Didn't realize until it was long gone. ) The weird thing is we have a backup from 2020 that works, but the backup from 2022 on my hard drive doesn't. What a nightmare.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited March 2023

Were you keeping your active Quicken data file on the micro drive? If so, that's a really bad idea. It should be on the computer hard drive and backed up to a micro drive or better a cloud drive. Have you searched your whole hard drive for any Quicken files? Do you get an error message trying to open the 2022 backup?

• Dori
    Dori Member ✭✭
    Greg_the_Geek, Well, you are so right about the micro drive. I have certainly learned that lesson. I have searched my current pc as well as my prior pc for bkups. Guess I will have to admit defeat on this one. I sure appreciate your help. Thanks again.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Dori - so just to confirm or clarify - were you using Quicken with all the active files being stored on your flash drive ?
    If you open Quicken, —> File —> look at the very bottom of the menu and it should show the location URL of the last 4 Quicken files you used …. where does it show them .. what drive letter & location path ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Dori
    Dori Member ✭✭
    @Ps56k2 Unfortunately, I was using the flash drive to store my active files. lesson learned...don't do that again! LOL Looked where you suggested and it only had flash drive locations on it.I really do appreciate all the help though. The other mystery is why all of my backups I found on my PC hard drive (old ones from 2020 and 2021were empty. When I used them they open quicken and all the data is blank,
    ...no error msg. Anyway, that is a problem to solve another day. Thanks again to you and
    @Greg_the_Geek.
This discussion has been closed.