Quicken (Windows) slow to load file and backup error messages

Markhop
Markhop Member ✭✭

Running version R48.9 Build 27.1.48.9 Windows Enterprise.

For the last month or so, Quicken has taken forever to load my file. Additionally, when running "complete backup," I get error messages that backup "cannot load files, another session running" and "unable to load files." But then I get the message that "Backup Successful." I loaded a backup file from last month and it ran fine for a couple of days but then the symptoms described above came back.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has experienced this, what the problem is, and how did you fix it. Thanks for any input.

Best Answer

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It's easier to relocate the file and then double click on it to open it in Quicken. Quicken will then have the current location.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek

What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

• Markhop
    Markhop Member ✭✭

The path is C:\Users\Kelsey\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\

I am guessing OneDrive has something to do with it with my issues? I was surprised that the Documents\Quicken was buried under the preceding folders as I moved the Documents folder to "My PC" in Properties. Does "My PC" start at "OneDrive" and if so how do I circumvent it?

I am backing up to an external hard drive and Carbonite, and I guess unwittingly OneDrive…………..

Thanks for the quick response and any assistance.

• Greg_the_Geek

Yes, it's not recommended to keep your active Quicken data file in a cloud fold. After a backup, Quicken closes the file and then tries to reopen it. OneDrive makes a backup when the file is closed and before it's finished, Quicken trys to reopen. I would suggest using C:\Users\Kelsey\Quicken\ for your Quicken data.

• Markhop
    Markhop Member ✭✭
    Thank you Greg. One more question: how do you locate the file that Quicken loads? Not talking about the backup which there is a drop down for that. I just can't find where to change the path. Thanks again.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓

It's easier to relocate the file and then double click on it to open it in Quicken. Quicken will then have the current location.

• Markhop
    Markhop Member ✭✭
    Uhm......Duh. I knew that, have used it in the past but not for a while, and it just plain dropped out of my brain.

Oh, and it worked. Quicken much more snappy and responsive.

Greg, many thanks for not only your patience and assistance, but also how quickly you have responded to my issue. I was figuring days for a response, let alone hours! I hope you are still active next time I have a brain fart. Again, I really appreciate your help.

Mark
This discussion has been closed.