Bill Reminder only Shows Income Categories

I'm trying to create a new bill reminder as a subcategory. I have been using QW for over 25 years and have plenty of reminders and already subcategories under an existing category of Home:Insurance. I simply want to add a new subcategory to Home:Insurance:ABCDEFG, for example. I have two other subcategories at this level. I've done this hundreds of times.

I'm running the latest version that I can download (Release 48.9).

When I go to tell the bill reminder what subcategory, it only shows income choices that I have already created even though the reminder is for a subcategory under an expense.

This worked a couple weeks ago or less. There have been at least one update if not a couple in the last month so it must be a patch that caused this problem.

Any help would be appreciated. For now, I assigned it to the parent category and will fix it once the issue is resolved.

Matt

Tagged:

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Please look in Tools / Category List. Make sure the list is sorted by Category and that you use these settings to view the list: Show Full List, Show hidden categories is checked and you selected "All categories" in the sidebar on the left.
    Now look for one or more categories named something like "ACCT_xxxx" (e.g., ACCT_123d or [ACCT_123]") and delete them. Also look for a category duplicate, named exactly like the original and delete the duplicate.
    That should resolve the problem.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Please look in Tools / Category List. Make sure the list is sorted by Category and that you use these settings to view the list: Show Full List, Show hidden categories is checked and you selected "All categories" in the sidebar on the left.
    Now look for one or more categories named something like "ACCT_xxxx" (e.g., ACCT_123d or [ACCT_123]") and delete them. Also look for a category duplicate, named exactly like the original and delete the duplicate.
    That should resolve the problem.

• mmsedlacek
    mmsedlacek Member

Thank you! That worked. I had a category called "ACCT_655" which I deleted. I did not have a duplicate category of the original I was trying to create.

Wow! I should have asked you first before spending 20-25 minutes trying to figure it out. Like I said, it worked as far back as a week or two ago.

Thanks!

😄

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for reporting back.
    It appears to me that a bug from several years ago which I thought of as long since fixed for good is now rearing its ugly head again, as a result of some other, most likely unrelated change.

The Category List, as a database table, is indexed by the Category Name and cannot have duplicate names. That includes account names when used as transfer categories.
    Years ago, a bug during transaction downloading caused hidden ACCT_xxxx categories (i.e., temporary accounts) to be left behind instead of being deleted at the end of One Step Update processing.
    A special fix, added to Validate or Supervalidate processing was supposed to delete the temporary accounts. Apparently, not all of these ACCT_xxxx have since been removed and are now causing this problem.

The Category List edit is a workaround until Quicken reviews the situation and provides a permanent resolution in a future software update.

This discussion has been closed.