Anyone know how to set up AT&T as an ebill when you have multiple phone numbers?

Options

During the ebill setup process it asks "How do you want to get your code?" and provides a drop down showing five phone numbers. On the same dialog it has a field for "Identification Code." So I select the phone number to use and then…. yeah, you get the picture…. zip. I cannot click Continue because the code is required. Quicken is NOT responding to me choosing a phone number from the drop down as a "hint" to tell AT&T to send me a code at that number. I understand all this security stuff is tough to deal with but… AT&T?? Come on didn't anyone at Quicken actually test this with an account with more than one phone number??

Answers

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

i have the exact same issue.

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I was able to fix it by typing in a bogus security code. Then click CONTINUE. Then you get the real security code by text/email. Then you go back in and go thru the Quicken validate process again, and enter the CORRECT security code. It takes a bit but it did fix it. I reported the problem to Quicken 3 times, over the last 3 months I have had this issue.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

By setting up each of your several phone bills this way, you'll be able to get the job done much faster and won't have to work around these security code issues any longer.

• hamamatsu
    hamamatsu Member
    Options

UKR - yes, I know I can do that… and likely will just keep paying directly from my bank. Hoping the extra money I paid for Q Premium would allow an "all in one place" solution. But after hearing some of the horror stories here (such as double payments when resubmitting a payment after a "failure") I am a bit leery of using Quicken for this. But, I am still in the investigative stage and will proceed cautiously.

Randy - It ignores my choice and sends the code to my wife's phone… first in the drop down list. She gave me the code and I thought I was home free… it did authenticate me… but nearly 24 hours later it is still Pending with AT&T. Maybe that is normal

• hamamatsu
    hamamatsu Member
    Options

Just FYI - AT&T finally finished and is now setup. It was like pulling teeth to get it to… I just kept trying and kept using the codes sent to my wife's phone. Maybe the last time I just selected her phone number instead of mine… don't know if that is what did it.

But… one thing I like is that my most recent ST&T statement now shows up as a link on the AT&T line in the payee list. It allows me to download the bill right from there… without logging into the AT&T site. I really like that. That might not matter to many but I like to download my bills and keep them around for "posterity." (Plus I am so AR I actually record all the details to separate splits.) Jury is still out on whether or not I end up using this to actually pay bills.

• hamamatsu
    hamamatsu Member
    Options

My patience is completely exhausted. I finally came back to schedule an ebill to AT&T. Quicken told me my credentials were no longer valid and I needed to re-authorize (or words to that effect). I am trying hard not to use every “four letter word” that is coming to mind right now!

So, I started down that rabbit whole again… but this time, on the screen where it provided a drop down of my AT&T phone numbers, it did not ask for a code… I was encouraged (silly me). I selected my phone number and clicked Next. Basically, nothing happened (but it took a LONG time for nothing to happen). So, I tried again, and this time AT&T actually sent me a code and Quicken (after WAY too long) actually took my code. But then, again after WAY too long it failed.

My zillions of years of experience as a software engineer / architect tells me Quicken is to blame. The simple fact that EVERYTHING takes a very long time suggests that all this interaction with my billers (e.g. AT&T) is happening on some Quicken server somewhere and they are doing a sh-t-y job of that.

Enough of “throwing good money after bad” (where the money in this analogy is my time and effort). I cannot continue to waste energy on this horrible system and will continue to use my bank to pay my bills.

Experiment officially over… Quicken is a total failure with respect to using it to actually pay bills.

(Oh, I do understand that this is with a single biller. But that fact that that biller is a HUGE organization that millions of people use just has me say "if they can't get it right with AT&T I cannot trust the system at all)

This discussion has been closed.