Why does Quicken not allow you to manually post a bill scheduled to Auto enter?

I find this extremely odd that if I have a bill setup to Auto enter on a certain date, if I want to manually post it because the service provider auto debited my account earlier, the only option I get is to edit the bill. I literally have to log out of Quicken and log back in, which Quicken will then post the transaction for me. Only other way is to take off the auto enter to post the transaction, then turn it back on. Am I missing something? Can a button be added that allows you to "Edit" or "Enter" on all transactions regardless of how they are setup (Auto or Manual entry)?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The Enter button is so obvious, most people don't see it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• regalbuj
    regalbuj Member

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately your posting and image are not helpful at this point. I am not sure what version of Quicken you are using or view settings you have so for me, no, it isn't obvious. I'm using Quicken Premier, I click on the Bills and Income tab using the "Due Date" view in the drop down. Below is what I see. It is an Auto Enter bill. Under the Action column, all I see is Edit. For my manually entered bills further down in the list that I'm not showing you, the Action button shows "Enter". When I click the Enter button, I can click "Enter Transaction" to post it immediately. For the Auto Enter bills like below, when I click Edit, I can only modify the bill details, but there is no "Enter Transaction" option. Only Cancel, Delete or Done, which puts me right back out to the below screen. The drop down arrow only gives options to pay will bill manager, skip, or delete this and all future bills. No Enter option here, nor anywhere else on my screen like you are showing.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Rocket,

Is that in Tools | Manage Bill & Income Reminders? I don't see any Enter button (or any other action buttons) in the Bills tab.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this is in Manage Bill & Income Reminders (CTRL-J) in QWin Premier R48.15. Sorry if I misunderstood where @regalbuj was looking. I never use tabs or online bills so didn't think to look there, and the description in the OP led me to believe I was looking in the right place.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken tends to steer users to the newer functionality which often does not work as well as older functionality. The Tools | Manage Bill & Income Reminders vs. the Bills (or Bill and Income) tab is a perfect example.

Normally the Bills tab is hidden in my file as I use the much more functional and less cluttered Tools | Manage Bill & Income Reminders and the Home view Bill and Income Reminders snapshot instead.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.