Printing checks in Quicken - worth it ? - how to test (edit)

Options
Is it worth it? I am on my last box of bank-ordered personal checks, down to two checks left. I write so few checks this final pad has four years from the first to the last check. Thinking about ordering checks I can just print from Quicken. I went to File/Printer Setup/For Printing Checks, made sure all the settings look correct for my laser printer. I wanted to print a test, assuming I would either use a "zero" amount or void the "check" number that I used as a test. But, when I select File/Print Checks I get a message "You do not have any checks to print."

What step am I missing? I've read the directions on the Quicken site for "How to print checks" but I keep getting this error message.

In the long run, if I get this set up, is the cost difference between printing and hand-writing all that different?

I know, with as few as I write, it's not a huge deal to write them rather than print, but as I get older, folks find it harder to read my writing (I'm 68), so I thought this might be a better option. Maybe.

Thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

when I select File/Print Checks I get a message "You do not have any checks to print."

If you record the new check directly from a register transaction, you need to put "Print" into the Check # field.
    Or use the Write and Print Checks dialog to enter a new check transaction and then proceed to print it.

As far as ordering and using new checks is concerned, I recommend you use Voucher Checks. These are business size checks, 1 check and 2 stubs per sheet. They are easier to use than having to work with the other check types with 3 checks per sheet and trying to feed a partial page into your printer.

Printing checks, ordering Quicken-compatible checks from Intuit or other companies
    Click File / Printer Setup / For printing checks to select the correct Check Style.
    For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old stock from many years ago)
    For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".
    Canadian users need to select between 2 layout styles, e.g., old style "Voucher" vs. new style "Voucher - Image ready".
    You may have to scroll the list of check styles up or down to see all available styles.
    Also be sure to choose and test the proper selections for how to print a partial page in your printer … the settings to choose (e.g., horizontal vs. vertical feed) may depend on the make and model of printer that you use.
    Quicken US version only: For a review of Quicken - compatible check styles and perhaps to order new check or envelope supplies, please see https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/checks and https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/envelopes/check-window (the website talks about checks for use with QuickBooks but the same style checks also work with Quicken) or order from any check printing company that offers Quicken/Quickbooks - compatible checks

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is it worth it? Probably not, but I still have plenty of checks so I use them. My handwriting is terrible too. I like the 3-to-a-page wallet checks (Check21 compatible). If you think you want to use that size check, read on.

Here is a scan of a page of those checks. Each check is 7.25 cm in height. The problem many people have is printing the last one of three because their printer can't handle the short page after the first 2 checks have been removed..

The bottom check and the space below it are 13.5 cm in height. Cut a piece of paper that size, create and print a check in Quicken. See whether your printer can handle the short page.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.